Back Again: First Impressions

Didn't you know that having children with you gives Argentines absolute priority?

It's not only with Argentines, although respect for children and mothers is one of the rare things Argentines get right. It's not only for mothers either - every time I get on a bus with my 3-year-old, someone offers us his/her seat - and always with a smile, not grudgingly. And we have to decline (and we always decline - we're perfectly capable of standing, and I don't want my son growing up feeling entitled to any favor he's offered) at least 3 times before they reluctantly retake their seats.

Anyways, last time we flew as a family it was with Air Canada, and they gladly gave us an extra bulkhead seat for our then-under-2 infant, who wasn't even paying for a seat. It wasn't only the crew - the seatholder (Argentine if I remember correctly) himself all but insisted we take the seat.

It's a free country, and anyone can be an asshole (both as a parent abusing their position, or as someone who shows zero tolerance for children or parents), but this is one area where in this country selflessness is the norm. IMHO it's something to be celebrated.

So Ceviche, I am curious about AA staff trying to give away your preferred seat you paid extra for. Very annoying. Did they offer to credit you the amount? I have often wondered what they do in these situations.

When they asked you how much currency you were carrying can you say, "Not more than U$10.000"? I don't think it is anyone's damn business how much money I have if it isn't over the limit.

My friend was stopped even though she was carrying less than $10,000 US. She was carrying it in a money belt and they saw it on the machine and took her to a private room and explained that she must put the money in her purse or hand bag or suitcase when going through the x-ray machine. Good to know.

One time on a flight down to ARg I paid that extra cost for a premium economy seat (bulkhead or whatever you call it) and the chap next to me had gotten his seat for free just for showing up late to check -in. So unfair!

So Ceviche, I am curious about AA staff trying to give away your preferred seat you paid extra for. Very annoying. Did they offer to credit you the amount? I have often wondered what they do in these situations.

No, their was no talk of getting credit back. I did mention that I had paid extra for it and the ground staff said that "you can write a mail on AA.com or call AA later to discuss reimbursement". I obviously declined the idea. I did say, if they want my seat so desperately, they can upgrade me to business class, for which obviously they were not interested either.

But I can asssure you that had I not been a seasoned traveler, threatened to sue them and stood my ground, I would have 100% likely been transferred to a middle seat, lost my preferred seat, and the money paid to get it as well.

One time on a flight down to ARg I paid that extra cost for a premium economy seat (bulkhead or whatever you call it) and the chap next to me had gotten his seat for free just for showing up late to check -in.

Since I fly more often on LAN and TAM, my preferred one world frequent flyer program is LANPASS. But I guess if one is a frequent AA flier member, one can get those "preferred seat" by online checkin and paying nothing extra.

This happened to me on a flight from Europe to BsAs. Some guy came up to me and began his speech. I was about to tell him no when I heard the magic words. He had a seat in business class, but really wanted to sit by his wife in economy. THAT is true love. Needless to say, I was happy to help bring them together.

I was once offered a free upgrade to first class by a man who's wife was beside my seat, unfortunately he only had one first class seat and i doubt my wife would have been happy if i'd fucked off to first class without her.

:lol:

When you reserve your see with the online checkin, they show you the seats you have to pay extra for...at least on United and Delta..Lon such thing as free anything anymore...EXCEPT for some bizarre but great reason, Delta is now allowing it's FF members two free checked bags plus carry ons!

When you reserve your see with the online checkin, they show you the seats you have to pay extra for...at least on United and Delta..Lon such thing as free anything anymore...EXCEPT for some bizarre but great reason, Delta is now allowing it's FF members two free checked bags plus carry ons!

Not necessarily..I am United Premier Platinum..and even if I buy the cheapest economy, i always get to chose any seat I want in the economy plus section in any united flight. When I had just enrolled for United and not achieved even silver status, they used to ask huge amounts of money to chose those economy plus seats.

I have never been a AA or a Delta member, but I am assuming having so many miles in AA would most likely get you automatic upgrade on AA or at least a preferred seat for *free*

I am glad that I have memories of the times when flying was civilized and sometimes luxurious, and food was recognizable, and drinks were on the house and Continental had baby grand pianos in first class. And, oh yeah, flight attendants were actually happy to be there. And you didn't pay extra for a blanket. And on American Airlines the attendants actually brought prime rib up from the 747 kitchen and carved at your seat. And there were PEANUTS.

Back