Back In The Us: First Impressions.

CaliCoco

Registered
A quick background.I lived for 5 years in Buenos Aires from 2002-2007 where I met an Argentine woman that is now my wife. We then moved to Los Angeles and lived there for 6 years. In 2013 we moved back to BA because my wife gave birth to twins and we had more family support there.
We found Argentina to be different than we remembered it and really wondered if we had made the right decision...Well, here we are back in LA again (after about 16 months). Here are some first impressions upon recently returning:

Errands are 1000 times faster here. For example, I drive to the grocery store, I park, I get what I need, and I'm on my way. Not my experience in Argentina

Strangers here are overly friendly. Not always the case but after being in Buenos Aires, it seems so bizarre to enter a business or restaurant and people to act as if I just made their day by walking in.

This is personal but I find it interesting. My twin baby boys are blonde with blue eyes and in Argentina we couldn't walk a block without 4 old ladies stopping us and kissing them. It was flattering. Here in LA, very little attention.

People in the US are not into just sitting and talking. They find it awkward. When we get together with friends in a house it seems like there has to be other activities besides just good ol conversation. I liked the fact that Argentines have no problem with sitting and gabbing.

Even in infamous LA, compared to BA, driving is a pleasure.

Where the hell are all the trees and grass? After being in BA, LA seems way more desert like than I remember.

People in LA, not talking about the Hollywood or Beverly hills set, don't really care how themselves or others dress. I can't tell you how many times I got teased in BA for dressing casual. Some Argentine friends couldn't get over the fact that I wore flip flops to a pizza joint one time. People in BA are by far classier and better dressed but much more judgemental.

I now worry about the law. Now that I've returned to the US..It's always in the back of my head that I can get in trouble for something..speeding tickets,tax mistakes, who knows..

Worthless post,I know, but I just thought I'd share.

A quick background.I lived for 5 years in Buenos Aires from 2002-2007 where I met an Argentine woman that is now my wife. We then moved to Los Angeles and lived there for 6 years. In 2013 we moved back to BA because my wife gave birth to twins and we had more family support there.
We found Argentina to be different than we remembered it and really wondered if we had made the right decision...Well, here we are back in LA again (after about 16 months). Here are some first impressions upon recently returning:

Errands are 1000 times faster here. For example, I drive to the grocery store, I park, I get what I need, and I'm on my way. Not my experience in Argentina

Strangers here are overly friendly. Not always the case but after being in Buenos Aires, it seems so bizarre to enter a business or restaurant and people to act as if I just made their day by walking in.

This is personal but I find it interesting. My twin baby boys are blonde with blue eyes and in Argentina we couldn't walk a block without 4 old ladies stopping us and kissing them. It was flattering. Here in LA, very little attention.

People in the US are not into just sitting and talking. They find it awkward. When we get together with friends in a house it seems like there has to be other activities besides just good ol conversation. I liked the fact that Argentines have no problem with sitting and gabbing.

Even in infamous LA, compared to BA, driving is a pleasure.

Where the hell are all the trees and grass? After being in BA, LA seems way more desert like than I remember.

People in LA, not talking about the Hollywood or Beverly hills set, don't really care how themselves or others dress. I can't tell you how many times I got teased in BA for dressing casual. Some Argentine friends couldn't get over the fact that I wore flip flops to a pizza joint one time. People in BA are by far classier and better dressed but much more judgemental.

I now worry about the law. Now that I've returned to the US..It's always in the back of my head that I can get in trouble for something..speeding tickets,tax mistakes, who knows..

Worthless post,I know, but I just thought I'd share.

Nice try, but LA is not the US. :D

the trade offs are always a problem but yet the fun. really think once your settled into a situation, the cable companies, phones, electricity, government, taxes, banks, its better and easier in the US in the years of accumulation, after its so much more rewarding and fun in argentina. the US later in live just lacks soul. viva argentina

sorry I will put in a few comma's in running sentences in the future. angel cabrea is killing it in the phx open.

I've been back in the US for 4 months now, after living in Argentina for 7 years. There are things I do miss about living there, such as the kiss hello and goodbye to my colleagues, friends, friends' family members, etc. I also miss some of the local business owners in the neighborhood where I lived that I had developed friendly relationships with. What I don't miss is the economic instability, the constant fear of being assaulted / robbed or the protests / marches / strkes and the overall feeling of "what is going to happen next". In 4 months I've rented an apartment, have been working full time since 30 days of my arrival and leased a car. I am also so in love with the great food selections that are accessible to everybody. In New York City and the outer boroughs there is something for every budget.

I'm not going to say one place is better than another. I know it's way more complicated than that and everybody's situation is different, but I find life easier in the US.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Newcomers Forum 6
T Expat Life 18
S Expat Life 101
Back