Bacon guy

Rugbr%C3%B8d.JPG

This is Danish "rugbrød" - rye bread. Without my oven, Argentina would have become my grave :eek:

BTW: I keep the last 2-3 cm of each bread in my freezer, when I have 2-3 -lbs. I make "øllebrød" (a kind of heavyset puddingsauce: black bread + Porter + sugar, boiled)- all the Argentinos who have tasted it are crazy about it, I have to defend it with tooth and claw, red in blood.

It was introduced to the US during WWI ("Who can make bread without flour?" "I can", said Lauritz C. Klitteng, Danish baker - rye is meal, not flour). American "whitebread stomachs" had troubles with the 90 percent fibres bread and Klitteng introduced øllebrød, which you may even today find as a pudding sauce in the Midwest (about Lauritz and Danish Pastry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_(pastry)#Lauritz_C._Klitteng.27s_Influence_in_USA )

Does anyone know if the bacon guy is still delivering? I sent an email but it was immediately rejected and returned by the server!

Thanks for any info.

I got some 2 weeks ago. Just email Lucas [email protected]
Their delivery is Fri and Sat every fortnight, so may not be any for another 2 more weeks. Can you let us know if he's doing an earlier del? Thnx.

CarverFan said:
I got some 2 weeks ago. Just email Lucas [email protected]
Their delivery is Fri and Sat every fortnight, so may not be any for another 2 more weeks. Can you let us know if he's doing an earlier del? Thnx.
Thanks! I will update when I hear back.

John.St said:
Rugbr%C3%B8d.JPG

This is Danish "rugbrød" - rye bread. Without my oven, Argentina would have become my grave :eek:

BTW: I keep the last 2-3 cm of each bread in my freezer, when I have 2-3 -lbs. I make "øllebrød" (a kind of heavyset puddingsauce: black bread + Porter + sugar, boiled)- all the Argentinos who have tasted it are crazy about it, I have to defend it with tooth and claw, red in blood.

It was introduced to the US during WWI ("Who can make bread without flour?" "I can", said Lauritz C. Klitteng, Danish baker - rye is meal, not flour). American "whitebread stomachs" had troubles with the 90 percent fibres bread and Klitteng introduced øllebrød, which you may even today find as a pudding sauce in the Midwest (about Lauritz and Danish Pastry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_(pastry)#Lauritz_C._Klitteng.27s_Influence_in_USA )
I lived in Denmark many years ago and your writing about the bread gave me powerful sense memories. I can taste it right now! ;)

I got an email suggesting that the bacon run might be this week (Friday/Saturday).

Back