Bad idea to book airline tickets in advance

Tigre, appreciate the comment, I agree it makes a lot of sense to improve my Spanish/learn more about the culture right now. ¡Don’t worry, soy tranqui!

I’m already building my network in my industry, most of which are BsAS natives. Continuing to do that while learning more Rioplatense. I’m a huge lover of Futbol, dance, travel, and living with passion so I’ve really enjoyed learning more about Argentina. Obviously I’ve never been there but I’m also into geography so learning more about the neighborhoods. I’ll probably spend more time with pórtenos than expats.

If things aren’t looking good due to the virus then I’ll look elsewhere, likely SouthEast Asia. The plan is to travel to both areas in the next couple years, so if it starts in Asia instead of Argentina then that’s totally fine.
Okay, sounds like you have a plan. I want you to do well.

Best always,

T

Argentina may become a special case for other reasons: many predict in the near future an economic collapse and associated social unrest bigger than 2001. It's not just the virus that may make it unsafe for travel.
Gee Alby,

I sure do hope that is all wrong. I have quite a few people who I care about and love. I don't want to see them be placed in hell.

Not too many of us (myself included) took too much notice of the vius doomsayers in February. Why would we just assume six months later that the economic doomsayers have it wrong?

Where has Perry been? His doomsday predictions have been pretty accurate the past few years.

Argentina may become a special case for other reasons: many predict in the near future an economic collapse and associated social unrest bigger than 2001. It's not just the virus that may make it unsafe for travel.

I don't know if that's a prediction so much as a wish on the part of certain interests. It's very cynical to want to a whole country and society to fail just so that some people like Macri and Javier Milei can point a finger at CFK and Alberto.

2001 was very, very diferent, and I covered the events as they unfolded as a freelance translator for Argentine journalists. The anti-cuarenta protests are relatively small and largely funded by international free-market think tanks like La Red Atlas/Atlas Network, they're far from being massive popular movements.

FYI United canceled my domestic flight, with nothing bookable in the near future. I was persistent and polite and they eventually agreed to refund my money, and I got the credit to my card about a week later.

I don't know if that's a prediction so much as a wish on the part of certain interests. It's very cynical to want to a whole country and society to fail just so that some people like Macri and Javier Milei can point a finger at CFK and Alberto.

2001 was very, very diferent, and I covered the events as they unfolded as a freelance translator for Argentine journalists. The anti-cuarenta protests are relatively small and largely funded by international free-market think tanks like La Red Atlas/Atlas Network, they're far from being massive popular movements.
Renzi,

With social media like it is today (Didn't even exist back in 2001!) you get 50 people together and they have a voice loud and clear. The media outlets cover it, and WHAM! It's a story with legs.

And I believe this very scenario I just described is a major problem for the world. An amoeba commands the attention of a whale now a days.

Writing this from Scotland i would have to say the info i read on argentine expat forums appears to be pretty much insular to Argentina regarding this virus and its threat. Maybe usa as well although its become very politicized over there which is unfortunate
In Europe its pretty much done..Nobody is dying anymore of this and the public has had enough and protesting massively the continued measures the government are putting in place. Yes there are lots new cases ..i say cases because the PCR test is hopeless and can not tell the difference between Covid19 and any other coronavirus inc the common cold and flu shots...The designer of the test said this..The amount of false positives is massive and before they only tested when people were in hospital ..now there testing everyone so yes case numbers are going up but deaths remain next to zero and have done for months. The people can see this is no longer about saving our health service which was originally touted..

My GF is from argentina and i have no hesitation in jumping on a plane as soon as they let me..Got a flight booked for november this year..The reality is this kills old people with major co morbidities ...99.99% of the population are pretty much unaffected by this so dont be scared..live life normally..ignore the media....And for the record i spoke no spanish and spent 3 months from Bs to patagonia with no issues and made so many friends inc my GF who im marrying in January....

Cant beat a bit of DR Vernon to sum things up..

Back