Is it a bad idea to open my laptop in the parque?

mkub3905

Registered
(the advice I would ALWAYS give is: "If you're asking... it is"; nonetheless...

Even in NYC (I'm from Brooklyn), (nowadays) you will see people sitting on the subway, and in the parks (selectively - of course) working on their laptop.
In CABA (I live in Barrio Norte-ish, next to Parque las Heras), rather than at a coffee shop (which is not out of the question, i just feel guilty spending time for the cost of little), ...is it a bad idea to open my laptop in the parque (or even at a cafe's sidewalk table)?

(Trust me, after a lifetime of NYC - is survived the 70's !, I do not mean to be an alarmist - not at all; only asking to maintain a grip on reality =:- )

Even in NYC (I'm from Brooklyn), (nowadays) you will see people sitting on the subway, and in the parks (selectively - of course) working on their laptop.
In CABA (I live in Barrio Norte-ish, next to Parque las Heras), rather than at a coffee shop (which is not out of the question, i just feel guilty spending time for the cost of little), ...is it a bad idea to open my laptop in the parque (or even at a cafe's sidewalk table)?

(Trust me, after a lifetime of NYC - is survived the 70's !, I do not mean to be an alarmist - not at all; only asking to maintain a grip on reality =:- )
I don't like to show expensive electronics in public. As long as you don't go to a cafe that turns into a restaurant at lunch time when they need the tables, you can stay as long as you like --and even those places usually have a section for people who are just drinking coffee and lingering.

The Park very dangerous, the sidewalk cafe dangerous (a woman was dragged, for the purse, by a thief at a sidewalk cafe Palermo), inside the cafe less dangerous ( Sometimes all customers were mugged inside a cafe..) .

Conclusion 100 % safe doesn't exist...!

You can go a year without anything happen. It can happen first time. Showing electronics is not advisable, you show openly you are worthy target, and not local. I would go so far to say, that you would attract people, that otherwise wouldn't bother with you. I always had shitty phone for outside, nothing ever happened to me, but I saw plenty of people getting phones snatched from their hands. Laptop is worth of a gunpoint in my opinion.

Sometimes, I should listen to my own instincts (LOL)
…..the advice I would ALWAYS give is: "If you're asking... it is" !!

Definitely don't do it.

Using your laptop on the subte, park or even at an outdoor cafe is crazy.

I've seen on several occasions guys grab computers or phones from people sitting at outdoor cafes in nice neighborhoods.

To add, there are many co-working spaces that you can join if you'd rather not work out of cafes.

Back