Bagels, Bagels, Bagels

wreReynolds

Registered
A number of people ave asked about bagels. There was a place on Junin that had decent bagels - but it closed down recently. But I just trolled the Jewish barrio in Abasto and found a place that has great bagels. Not quite New York or Montreal style, but pretty good.
It's on Talcahuano (sp?) about 10 metres from Pueyrredon (east side I guess). Very nice family run place. And if you care about such things, there is a great kosher market right across the street.

AND, if anyone can tell me where I can find North American firm cream cheese, I would appreciate it. I find the stuff here too runny and too sour for my taste. And capers!!

You can get Philadelphia cream cheese at several supermarkets. Have you tried Mendicrim ( the red one ) ? Capers are found at most supermarkets where they have olives and snacks. I haven´t tried the place you mention, but I will look for it. Here is another one: http://www.tribecabagels.com.ar/

Oui Oui has great bagels too. And if you go there the last hour that they are open you get a discount on their baked goods.
Enjoy

I really like Bagelazo. Very delicious bagels, delivered to your door, fresh and warm. :)

As Nikad said, you can buy Philadelphia cream cheese at many supermarkets. I just bought some at the Disco on Paraguay & Armenia. And I've bought it at the Carrefour as well. It's not always there though. You have to check often.

Wre Reynolds

Just checked the map trying to locate the bagel shop you recommended. Are you sure it is on Talcahuano, because it doesnt appear to be anywhere near Pueyrredon or Abasto?

I live around that area so am keen to find this one.

where is tribeca bagels located? i cant find the location on their website.

Capers are called alcaparras here, and you can find them at Carrefour along side the olives in glass jars.

Since Philadelphia cream cheese can set you back about $14 pesos, a great alternative that is pretty darn close is called Finlandia queso procesado clasico. The one I have in my refrigerator now came in a 200 gram plastic tub. Maybe you've tried it before and it doesn't work for you, but I was really glad to discover something pretty close that wasn't imported.

Hope you find something you like!

tod said:
Since Philadelphia cream cheese can set you back about $14 pesos, a great alternative that is pretty darn close is called Finlandia queso procesado clasico. The one I have in my refrigerator now came in a 200 gram plastic tub.
I love Finlandia. It is cheap, and my grocery store always has it. I only see Philly Cream Cheese about once a month or so, so I know I can count of Finlandia. It is not exactly exactly the same, but I think it is close enough.

marcopolo said:
Wre Reynolds

Just checked the map trying to locate the bagel shop you recommended. Are you sure it is on Talcahuano, because it doesnt appear to be anywhere near Pueyrredon or Abasto?

Maybe he means Tucuman? I live in the area too, and that seems to be the only reasonable option.

Back