Balcony/Terrace Gardening

jayjane

Registered
We are moving to a place with a sunny, albeit small balcony. I want to put a few plants out there this year. Where do I start looking for information? I have never done much gardening and I need the basic info- what to plant when and how to do it.

After reading the hyperinflation posts I figure there is no better time to learn how to garden, right? ;)

You need to find a vivero, probably around your area. Before that, you need to know about the light, if it is bright all day long, or only at the mornings or afternoons. As the winter is coming it is most likely you will not get colorful flowers, but for sure you can buy beautiful green flowers for your balcony.

Many people go to Easy to buy plants, and there is a huge Easy at Palermo. There is a huge section at the back (towards Av Bullrich) and you may ask for advice.

Thanks. I think I will try for herbs and plants that I can use for cooking although a balcony of flowers is a beautiful sight. I know winter is coming but I want to plan now what should be planted when. If I have to wait for a while that is ok. Gives me more time to gather supplies and learn a bit.

I would highly recommend buying plants at the vivero in Agronomia -- do a search on the board and you'll find. They are more helpful than anyone at Easy, the plants are cheaper, and I swear they are better quality!

Planting at this time of year (heading into winter) is not great timing, you'll need hardier plants if you get lots of shade, but if your balcony gets a lot of sun, like we have, you might be in luck. Our geraniums flower pretty much the entire year but we have sun exposure for minimum 7 hours a day even in winter. In summer it becomes a fight to keep everything from baking, and for a few weeks we don't get any flowers -- the plants shut down production in an effort to preserve themselves from the heat!

If I was you, I would try Cilantro, Basil, Parsley, chrysanthemum, lemon grass, and whatever other herbs you like. Sometimes it is surprising what continues to grow. A north or northwest window will get the most light. If you are facing south or southeast, Im guessing you wont have much luck. I would get planting as soon as you can, to try and give your plants a head start, as we come into winter. You could also put a clear plastic cover over all your pots initially and throughout the season, until they get to big, to give them a little extra heat. good luck. :)

Saludos

Also, avoid the black pots (they store too much heat in summer and that kills the roots).

Agronomia is the best place like stated Syngirl but for a few plants you might wish to make an order to a small "vivero" nearby your house (they certainly can get all that you wish).

You can call Escuela de jardineria at Jardin Botanico, or Jardin Japones and look for some class. Jardin Japones sells plants too.

RobinsonGO said:
If I was you, I would try Cilantro, Basil, Parsley, chrysanthemum, lemon grass, and whatever other herbs you like. Sometimes it is surprising what continues to grow. A north or northwest window will get the most light. If you are facing south or southeast, Im guessing you wont have much luck. I would get planting as soon as you can, to try and give your plants a head start, as we come into winter. You could also put a clear plastic cover over all your pots initially and throughout the season, until they get to big, to give them a little extra heat. good luck.

Saludos

I started a thread along this lines last October or so. I had just moved apartments and had a bike, but was waiting until I got a bookrack setup to attack a milkcrate in the back to get my plants... well I just got that done this week. :eek:

I was thinking that I missed the herb season, but you're saying that there's a possibility that it's not too late?!?!

Our balcony gets some sun early in the day, nearly every day. (Mid-winter that might change because we are piso 2 with tall buildings all around a large open area.)

So there's HOPE?

That wasn't just a word from '92 that was brought back in '08? Thanks.

Napoleon said:
I started a thread along this lines last October or so. I had just moved apartments and had a bike, but was waiting until I got a bookrack setup to attack a milkcrate in the back to get my plants... well I just got that done this week. :eek:

I was thinking that I missed the herb season, but you're saying that there's a possibility that it's not too late?!?!

Our balcony gets some sun early in the day, nearly every day. (Mid-winter that might change because we are piso 2 with tall buildings all around a large open area.)

So there's HOPE?

That wasn't just a word from '92 that was brought back in '08? Thanks.

Napoleon,
This is a my first winter here, so I can not be POSITIVE about the herbs. I have grown up crop farming in Wisconsin, I have always had herbs in the home garden. Around me, I like to plant a fall variety of basil, especially, as the cold comes, it gets slightly more crisp and sweet. I do NOT think it will grow throughout the WHOLE winter, but I think if you get it in NOW and put a clear plastic over it, it will get a good start and i think you will AT LEAST get a good salad out of it. That goes for the Parsley, Cilantro, and Chrysanthemum (for tea) as well. I might have been a little over the top with the Lemon Grass, but that was curiosity. I planted a butterball lettuce a week ago, we ended up having the coldest night so far, about 3 days after I planted it, and the seedlings died. You might want to start by planting the seeds in small cups and keep them indoors until they are ready for transplant, for outside, then keep the clear plastic over. Let me know how it goes! Sadly, my window faces the south-east, so I dont have much light at all, but I have a little (Hawaiian Pepper) (as far as im concerned) in the window and its still putting out PEPPERS! Good Luck!

maybe LUCK should have been a better word for Obama.

Saludos

Back