Bank Account With Just a Passport and CDI Number (No DNI)

Many times it just differs based on branch to branch. Most of the times, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing in Argentina and the laws are constantly changing. You can call 10 different branches and not get consistent answers.

I'd guess some branches probably will open it but not all of them...so if you hear about one that will....go only to that branch.

Sorry to bring up this slightly old thread again - does anyone know of a bank that has recently allowed someone to open a caja de ahorro with just a CDI and passport? Thanks.

Sorry to bring up this slightly old thread again - does anyone know of a bank that has recently allowed someone to open a caja de ahorro with just a CDI and passport? Thanks.

Postings from 4 years ago don't help!! I tried this April 2013 at Banco Nacion and also Banco Cuidad. Banco Nacion refused I spoke with the Head of the Section, he stated that Residencia Permanente is required and CDI , Precaria/Temporary is not enough.

Try any of the Banco Frances branches in Puerto Madero. I helped a friend open a caja de ahorros in Nov. 2011 with just a CDI, passport and a couple of utility bills. Things have changed since then, but banks in PM are more used to dealing with foreigners than your average neighborhood bank, so it may be worth a shot. You may have to go to a few branches until you find someone willing to help. Good luck and let us know if you're able to open one.

Postings from 4 years ago don't help!! I tried this April 2013 at Banco Nacion and also Banco Cuidad. Banco Nacion refused I spoke with the Head of the Section, he stated that Residencia Permanente is required and CDI , Precaria/Temporary is not enough.
I was immediately refused by Banco Nacion 3 weeks ago even with my DNI, permanent residency and CUIL! They asked for a proof of income. After several attempts I opened my account at Banco Frances with DNI, CUIL, 6 month rent agreement and with the bill proving that current owner pays utility bills. Real nightmare!

I was immediately refused by Banco Nacion 3 weeks ago even with my DNI, permanent residency and CUIL! They asked for a proof of income. After several attempts I opened my account at Banco Frances with DNI, CUIL, 6 month rent agreement and with the bill proving that current owner pays utility bills. Real nightmare!

Serge great contribution, that proves the point, about the actual conditions needed to open an account today.

I got denied 3 times in a row at HSBC, finally went to Galicia and they opened it for me no problem. Temp residency, dni/cuil

Back