Banking Regulations For Non Residents

thanks tom. i am leaving today and will give banco del la nacion another try when i return. the small banks i tried said they were probably the only one that could do it because they were nationally owned. talk soon, jim

You need permanent residency to open a bank account.

I got my bank account at Galicia with temporary residency in 2014 this is after I was told by HSBC that the central bank rules prevented me from opening an account as a temp resident. So there is obviously some flexibility.

Stay on topic, it is about non residents that is an euphemism for illegals. The Central Bank only recognize local IDs:

Now you have where to look for, I m not going to do it for you.

To own real estate has no legal consequences besides the ownership.

This seems to indicate that you can get a CDI to open a bank account with your foreign passport as a non resident.

https://www.argentina.gob.ar/obtencion-de-clave-de-identificacion-cdi

This seems to indicate that you can get a CDI to open a bank account with your foreign passport as a non resident.

https://www.argentin...ntificacion-cdi

mmmmmmmmmmm:

My previous post was the reply of the Central Bank to a Federal Judge.

This is the internal regulation of the CB that completes the previos quote.

Can you see passport there without the legal residency/precaria?

Tricky right?

Thanks to all for describing their varied experiences concerning getting, being refused, or suddenly having an Arg bank account closed on them - ugh ..

Thank you, Bajo_cera, for your answer, information, anti-immigration measures' effect upon the Central Bank's regulations related to the issue of Arg bank accounts. and for the copies of the letter from a judge to the Central Bank and for the extracts dated 31/12/14 stating that only permanent residents can open an Arg bank account.

It's interesting that another poster with temporary Arg residency did get a bank account in 2014 with that residency status. That must have happened before the CB put into effect its 'only permanent residents can' rule as a measure to curb immigration?? That poster's position sounds closest to what ours was in 2012 -where new pensionistas (applyng for temporary residency from abroad back then) HAD TO GET an Arg bank account and have his foreign bank promise in writing to deposit monthly a specified sum in it.

I presume that that those temporary residents who obtained temp residency and a bank account before the new CB rule kicked in haven't had their Arg peso accounts closed!?

I'm Canadian and British and a French resident. All these countries' pension admins deposit ALL of a monthly pension payment at home or abroad where the pensioner resides. I'd need an Arg bank account to transfer income too or I'd be penniless there. I wouldn't want all of my pension in Arg anyway. Second, Canada's banking laws forbid 'Xoom-type' transfers to be facilitated by its banks. Same thing in France where I reside now. In the UK there are a couple of 'Xoom'-type methods but they're not proved dependable for accessing one's income long-term in Arg.

Your information shows how serious Arg's anti-immigration measures have become.

---------------------

Regarding 'property ownerership', it's not a way to get a bank account in any country I've lived in. Although, for example an EU citizen gains full residency status of any other EU member country from the moment he arrives in it with the intention to live in it, the process of obtaining a fully functional French bank account (needed to hire and pay all local household services' bills and insurance premiums by direct debit) took us 6 weeks to open. because we had to first prove our FACTUAL residency to a bank by first satisfying a clever and fail-proof method conducted by the postal system so as to get a certificate saying that we do continually live at the local address we'd said was ours. Property ownership or a legal tenancy (not a temporary rental agreement) carry equal weight. Then we had to take the PO certificate early the next morning after our receipt of it to the bank's manager. Then we each signed and hand-wrote on each of the 85 pages of an account agreement that we'd read, comprehend, and approve our being bound by its terms. The manager apologised saying that most of the pages we'd signed result from a never-ending dearth of international anti- money laundering regulations over the previous 3 years.

Is it this complex and finicky to open a bank account in Arg as a permanent resident there? I suspect not.

Go to UY and open a bank account there. Be prepared to provide paperwork proving the origin of the funds (tax returns) and relevant translation in Spanish.
BROU is free with a min. balance (I think it's 1500 USD or similar amount), BBVA costs USD20 per month but you have to pay extra for cards, Itaú costs USD40 per month with a debit card included.
You can cross the border with less than 10k USD at any time with no need to declare that money. Use your foreign credit and debit cards as much as possible, make cash withdrawal in UY for all the other circumstances.

Argentina has not a serious/professional/reliable banking system. Don't come with the same expectations you'd have with a European/North American bank. UY banks deal at those levels, Argie banks are useless unless you're a con man with billions.

I was able to open an HSBC acct when I purchased an apt back in 2008 (HSBC was used to import funds to pay for apt). I paid the utility bills with automatic debits on the acct. A couple of years later I was required to close the acct. I now have my super walk 40 meters to Farmacity and pay all my utilities incl Cablevision. For this and other services (occasionally watering my plants when I am out of country) I pay my sup 200 pesos/mo . He is happy. I am happy.
I carry in sufficient USD to exchange when I come to BS As to reside for 2-3 months at a time. I can still take advantage of the delta in official rate and the blue rate (5%) this way.

Back