Banks. Has anyone else heard this?

expatalex said:
point 1, they can't confiscate money without a court order,

point 2, banks are corporations not a Gov entity, you might not be able to have movements in your accounts and they might be frozen until you take all your money out

point 3, your money is allways yours, you can always get it back with a court order,if confiscated they will have to go through the process

You do realize this is Argentina, right?

elhombresinnombre said:
It's probably Marcello talking: he would only have been about seven years old last time this happened.

Perhaps you have noticed that the thread you are aluding to (started by Marcelo) is gone...probably at his dad's request.

There is one important lesson to be learned from it:

Never let your 19 year old son use your account...of any kind!

the only thing I've ever used Argentine banks for is to provide the bricks and glass around the ATMs I use. Nothing more than that.

The ONE time I needed something from them, when a duplicate ATM withdrawal appeared on my statement, I went in and was asked by someone to write my full credit card number on a scrap of photocopy paper. When I refused, citing a zillion safety and security concerns, I was met with a shrug and I told him I'd just get my UK bank to just give me a refund, something they did within 12 hours.

I wouldn't trust the banks here to watch my bike for me while I went for a pee in the bushes.

steveinbsas said:
Perhaps you have noticed that the thread you are aluding to (started by Marcelo) is gone...probably at his dad's request.

There is one important lesson to be learned from it:

Never let your 19 year old son use your account...of any kind!

same laws apply for today, its contemporary history, does not matter how old I was, my dad delt with the problem and its like that still today... Steve, get off my back.. wtf is your problem? jerk, you dont see me talking about you all the fucken time... you wanna suck my dick? won't happen.....

Canick said:
point 4, who the hell wants the hassle? i have other things to do than sue/get a court order to get my own money back!

5) reason why such a rumour won't happen that easy

Fettucini said:
Well I just went downstairs and found a letter from HSBC! It says they want me to go to my branch before 30 December and bring my DNI for identification (which i dont have, i opened the account with a passport a few years ago).
For me this is a big problem as i'm in the middle of my residency (rentista visa) process for which i'll need a bank account here to send money into the country! If they're saying you cant have a bank account without a DNI, it makes it impossible to get the rentista visa.. what a hassle.
It's Argentina Logic. Policies and rules are alway so carefully thought out before implementation.

Rule number one...... in Argentina, if there is a rumor of of any kind of government Grab for money.........move it, fast.
Why do think capitol flight has been so rampant in the prior 8 months?
The government is desperate for cash. Just look at the dollar restrictions, subsidy changes, import blockage and etc.

I have also received the letter from HSBC asking me to come in before 30 Dec to clear up some matters of identification para evitar cualquier tipo de problema con el buen funcionamiento de la cuenta - that is, to avoid them closing my account.
At the same time at work, we have had to sign a whole lot of paperwork about the provenance of funds etc (all from the same bank). Our accountant who is on very good terms with our bank's account manager said that they are acting on orders from the central bank to gather all information they can about all account holders, and if people do not comply then their accounts will be closed.
Fairly scary stuff, really. Especially as I've seen it in action on the work front, it made me take the personal letter received at home a whole lot more seriously!

Back