Bargain Shopping

Big Al

Registered
I notice that there are a lot of discounts in most supermarkets and stores but you need an Argentina credit cards to get those discounts, anyway to take advantage of these savings without having a credit card from here?

Dia have good discounts on multiple buys and they will send offer updates and discount coupons to your inbox if you sign up to their website. You can also get a Dia card for further discounts...

Don't be fooled by those discounts, especially by COTO. Prices are inflated so they can offer them. You don't end up getting a discount. The credit card companies want you to use your card for everything.

Food isn't expensive if you have access to dollars. Argentines who earn pesos are feeling the pinch.

Compare prices in your neighborhood between the chain stores (DIA, COTO, JUMBO, NORTE, DISCO) and the independent groceries mainly owned by Chinese. That's how you'll find the best prices. The big stores buy larger quantities but don't offer lower prices because they have high overhead. I used to shop at COTO until I noticed the huge difference in prices at the local Chinese grocery where I can get in and out more quickly. They don't accept credit cards, and there is never a line.

I don't have a credit card, but I'm retired. COTO gives a 10% discount on Wed/Thurs if you say "jubilado" at checkout. No document required. It's not much, but it's something.

I'd also check out majoristas like http://www.vital.com.ar/
or makro if you can.

Forget shoping COTO and other Super, for a single person it ain't worth coocking no more. A chicken Pechuga con Pure and salad for $20 for takeout. Can't beat that not even in Mercado Central......YE $$$$

Forget shoping COTO and other Super, for a single person it ain't worth coocking no more. A chicken Pechuga con Pure and salad for $20 for takeout. Can't beat that not even in Mercado Central......YE $$$$

Yeah, but no restaurant can cook Chinese or Indian like I do with my packaged sauce bases brought from the US! Priceless!

Don't be fooled by those discounts, especially by COTO. Prices are inflated so they can offer them. You don't end up getting a discount.

It's still a discount.

To answer the OP. I use my Club la nacion for 15% off on tues and weds at coto and usually there is 15% off with my debit card on saturdays. Don't have any credit cards but if I did i'd certainly use them. Not to mention coto also offeres weekly discounts. For example 2 weeks ago on sunday it was 70% off of the second item when you bought 2 of olive oil, vinagre or mustard. Since they're non perishables I stacked up on my grey poupon and balsamico di modena and ended up saving quite a bit.

I sometimes ask friends if they can pay for the items on sale with their card and hand them the full amount in cash.

Don't be fooled by those discounts, especially by COTO. Prices are inflated so they can offer them. You don't end up getting a discount. The credit card companies want you to use your card for everything.

Food isn't expensive if you have access to dollars. Argentines who earn pesos are feeling the pinch.

Compare prices in your neighborhood between the chain stores (DIA, COTO, JUMBO, NORTE, DISCO) and the independent groceries mainly owned by Chinese. That's how you'll find the best prices. The big stores buy larger quantities but don't offer lower prices because they have high overhead. I used to shop at COTO until I noticed the huge difference in prices at the local Chinese grocery where I can get in and out more quickly. They don't accept credit cards, and there is never a line.

I don't have a credit card, but I'm retired. COTO gives a 10% discount on Wed/Thurs if you say "jubilado" at checkout. No document required. It's not much, but it's something.

I completely disagree here. Coto often runs some fantastic discounts on electronics and other items with specific credit cards. For instance, they had a 30 percent discount on electronics on Saturday. And from what I can see, most chinese grocery stores have become more expensive than large chain stores. The new little Carrefour express stores have some of the best prices, better than chinese grocery stores.

The discounts are actually not done by Coto or whomever, they are often actually offered by the bank itself. So Banco Santander Rio might offer you a 10 percent discount on gas on Sundays or something like that.

Unfortunately, there is not way to take advantage unless you have the card here.

Back