Bathtub issue in rental (direct from owner)

A recommendation that's been repeated several times on the forum is to rent a place on Airbnb for 1-2 months, just to get yourself set up, see which areas you like, if you can live with the money problems, and generally decide if you really want to stay longer.

I know that was a very good strategy for me, the first place I rented, in Palermo, on Nicaragua opposite the Pizza Academy, was awful, plane trees in October outside my window, building sites close by, a plumbing leak (same week I arrived, the shower just started blasting water at full force, I was trying to understand the owners instructions at midnight, to find the "canissshhha" and turn it off :rolleyes: ). Dirty, 2-hotplate cooker, no oven, odds and ends of shampoo and detergent left by previous tenants, etc... I was happy to be out of there after a month.

About the rental contract, I guess you need to talk to a lawyer.

You guys are a wealth of great info. Thanks so much :)

So if I have a rental contract that's for 1 year and not in pesos, is it even legal?

Feeling a bit duped right now...
Going to Court it's a lengthy and costly proposition . You may get a hearing and settle to share the costs. Definitely not worth for a couple of thousand pesos . Consider your legal costs...!

If your contract is not registered under a Notary Public then it's not legal at all... (it's a private agreement)

Going to Court it's a lengthy and costly proposition . You may get a hearing and settle to share the costs. Definitely not worth for a couple of thousand pesos . Consider your legal costs...!

If your contract is not registered under a Notary Public then it's not legal at all... (it's a private agreement)
Surely you don't mean that private agreements aren't legal? :oops:

I've never had a notarized rental agreement. All Airbnb, or short-term 3 month (several signed at the same time to make up a year, for example). Perhaps in @duggie's case "doing a runner" is an option, but I'd still check with a lawyer to understand the legal and practical implications.

Surely you don't mean that private agreements aren't legal? :oops:

I've never had a notarized rental agreement. All Airbnb, or short-term 3 month (several signed at the same time to make up a year, for example). Perhaps in @duggie's case "doing a runner" is an option, but I'd still check with a lawyer to understand the legal and practical implications.
LOLing at the expression "doing a runner"!

I'm having a consult with a lawyer today. I also just talked to the plumber who said that the fissures were due to the cheap/old tub fitting, not the new tenant. Kind of wondering what's going to be "my fault" next!

Lesson learned: for me, Airbnb protection is probably worth the extra expense in Arg.

LOLing at the expression "doing a runner"!

I'm having a consult with a lawyer today. I also just talked to the plumber who said that the fissures were due to the cheap/old tub fitting, not the new tenant. Kind of wondering what's going to be "my fault" next!

Lesson learned: for me, Airbnb protection is probably worth the extra expense in Arg.

I like how your landlord was acting like they were doing you a favor by covering the expense 🤣

Back