Batidos, Fruit Smoothies?

Argento

Registered
Does anyone know of any places that do the batido thing? Simply fresh fruits blended up on the spot (such as very popular in Brasil, Central America, etc).

Noticed one spot in Centro, but wondering about the Recoleta, Palermo areas.

Thanks for any info.

Almost any place does a licuado al agua. Specify that the fruit is "natural" and not "de lata." I also usually ask for no sugar.

Make them yourself at home. A decent licuado costs around $25 pesos around the Capital. It's absurd. I once ordered a licuado from Havanna and they put 3 tablespoons of maracuyá gel in a blender with a bunch of ice cubes they charged me $22 pesos for this and I raised hell as there was NO FRUIT at all put in the blender. I had to fight to get my money back but they did give it to me with a lousy attitude. Another time on calle Florida I saw them put canned pineapple, canned peaches, a HEAP of sugar and milk in a blender and serve that to someone who asked for a licuado tropical. I thought I was going to barfffff.

Get a juicer or a good blender for around $250 pesos and make them yourself. Now is a good time of year as the strawberries and blueberries are less expensive and plentiful.

I was going to say my kitchen. ;) My husband loves to make batidos... and yes, by making them at home you know exactly what's in it.

I make them at home as well--just about every day. I also have a Champion juicer, keep frozen fruit and make "ice cream." Mmmm, good! And good for you as well!

Hey thanks for the nice replies!
Yes, even throughout central america and some other spots, I lost track of how many times I had to dramatically emphasize "sin leche", "sin azucar".
Wow, near 25 pesos! No way! A few and I could buy one of these cheap blenders here. I looked at them but possibly I won't be here long. Maybe just buy it anyway and leave it.
Arlean, you have a Champion, must have brought it with you. Banana soft-serve ;)
David, I totally relate to your story. Precisely what I was looking to avoid.

Ok I see either buy a blender (not just to save 25 pesos each, but to make sure of getting a pure drink), or just hold off until in some other location.

Thanks for the posts.

Cafe Martinez has posters for them, but I just asked for one and they said they are not available. WTF?

Make them yourself at home. A decent licuado costs around $25 pesos around the Capital. It's absurd. I once ordered a licuado from Havanna and they put 3 tablespoons of maracuyá gel in a blender with a bunch of ice cubes they charged me $22 pesos for this and I raised hell as there was NO FRUIT at all put in the blender. I had to fight to get my money back but they did give it to me with a lousy attitude. Another time on calle Florida I saw them put canned pineapple, canned peaches, a HEAP of sugar and milk in a blender and serve that to someone who asked for a licuado tropical. I thought I was going to barfffff.

Get a juicer or a good blender for around $250 pesos and make them yourself. Now is a good time of year as the strawberries and blueberries are less expensive and plentiful.

They are so easy to make at home, and you know the contents. Buying liquados at a restaurant is for people who want to sit at sidewalk cafe and spend hours talking. I make one every morning during summer with filtered water, a cup of natural yogurt, and fruit blended in my Black & Decker blender from Jumbo. I remember when you couldn't buy blueberries. Today you can because they're exported to the USA.

I've been in BsAs almost 14 years. I survived without a baexpats forum to ask questions. I had to walk around the city to find what I needed, ask lots of questions once I felt comfortable in the language, and discover things on my own. I marvel at some of the questions on this forum. People want everything done for them without any effort on their part. And they want things to be here just as they are back home. Forget it. An attitude adjustment and change of lifestyle are required if you plan to stay in Argentina.

Back