Bedbugs? ¿chinches?

Several of you mention cockroaches eating bed bugs. In Yucatan, Mexico, when the house was under renovation and an earth floor exposed, many larged winged roaches would come out at night on the ground floor. It seemed to be normally an outdoor creature. I don´t know whether these are the same as Buenos Aires cock roaches, but they were easily killed by spray I bought in supermarkets. I never hear of bed bugs in Yucatan, despite many people coming from bed bug havens such as Toronto. So, it may be that the roaches eat bed bugs. That would be good as the cock roaches generally are far less problematic,

Although the idea of bedbugs is beyond creepy, I can't say that I'd be consoled by the thought of cockroaches making them a midnight snack while I slept in the same bed with all of them, either.

Exactly. Also, while they might snack the occasional bed bug on the surface, they are too big to get inside and actually solve the problem.

I would probably have no problem with cockroaches if I met them somewhere in the nature, but here in the city they live in canalisation and the dirtiest places, which is why they do spread diseases. My roommate has such a severe roach phobia that she once ran out of the bathroom screaming, wet, naked, in total panic, all the way downstairs. Which would normally be ok as only girls live here, but that day there were workers fixing something, and she got trapped on the staircase, naked, between the cockroach and the cheering boys, until someone threw her a towel to wrap herself...

We have more and more salamanders/geckos in our house every year. Coincidentally the teensy little ants we were getting disappeared shortly after the appearance of a particularly fat salamander. Cockroaches we have had every once in awhile, we live in a PH in a leafy residential street, so don't see them as often, but once in awhile if I've had the windows open all day long one may turn up.

Speaking of wildlife (??) in the city, I saw a hummingbird outside my neighbour's house for the first time in 10years of living here. As I say, our neighbourhood is mostly PHs and houses so lots of gardens around, I guess maybe there are enough flowers around for a hummingbird to survive even in Urquiza?

We have more and more salamanders/geckos in our house every year. Coincidentally the teensy little ants we were getting disappeared shortly after the appearance of a particularly fat salamander. Cockroaches we have had every once in awhile, we live in a PH in a leafy residential street, so don't see them as often, but once in awhile if I've had the windows open all day long one may turn up.

Speaking of wildlife (??) in the city, I saw a hummingbird outside my neighbour's house for the first time in 10years of living here. As I say, our neighbourhood is mostly PHs and houses so lots of gardens around, I guess maybe there are enough flowers around for a hummingbird to survive even in Urquiza?
I have a hummming bird feeder which I fill with sugar water and see hummingbirds pretty much every day.

Getting rid of cock roaches is much easier than getting rid of bed bugs. After fumigation, at least in Canada, the bed bugs retreat into books. I knew of several people who put all their books on the balcony for the winter.

I suppose the key is to not live in a building with a lot of apartments in it. Even a large building which has mostly offices
would be better.

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone !

Geckos are perfection comparing to bedbugs and roaches. However, friend warned me he got bitten by bedbugs in Iguazu, so Argentina is far from safe. I have quite some experiences with them from hostel I was working in Spain; no matter how much you clean or how decent people are coming, at some point you will have them. I had nightmares about them, because guests blame you, even if they got reaction week later and we didn't even had bedbugs ... And is probably the worst thing to get rid off, even if you escape to other country, you might bring them with you!

The big roaches that fly are called tree roaches. The most I have ever seen is in Houston Texas.

By the way dogs do not carry bed bug infestations. It would only come from a dog if a dog has been living with bed bugs previously - with its owner.

I live in a building with more than 50 apartments. Everyone here has access to the fumigator once a month. I have yet to see a roach in my place and I have never used the fumigator. I do however keep my kitchen spotless and all of my food is sealed in the fridge or cupboard. I clean behind the stove and refrigerator weekly. This is probably a major reason why I don't get roaches.

Although the idea of bedbugs is beyond creepy, I can't say that I'd be consoled by the thought of cockroaches making them a midnight snack while I slept in the same bed with all of them, either.
I´m in an residence with an entre-piso. At the moment, I get big roaches because my main floor is
being dug up to the bare earth, so I see roaches in that area. However, I´ve never seen a roach up
in the entre-piso.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Apartment Rentals and Roommates 3
Back