Been down here 3 months and got beat-up & mugged

mandysugarcubes

Registered
On our way to see an art exhibit in la boca on Sunday afternoon my boyfriend and were attacked by four youngish guys. punched, kicked, beaten, my purse and cell stolen all while a woman looked out her window above as I was screaming for help & policia. Nada. Horrible!

Terrible moment, I hope those b'stards can get caught somehow.

I guess you suffered and your BF injuries, how bad?
Did you come by bus to La Boca ? Where did it happen ?

All the best

mandysugarcubes said:
On our way to see an art exhibit in la boca on Sunday afternoon my boyfriend and were attacked by four youngish guys. punched, kicked, beaten, my purse and cell stolen all while a woman looked out her window above as I was screaming for help & policia. Nada. Horrible!

You have my sympathies for the double attack - that of the physical and that of the passive stand(er) by - sad on both counts for you. Don't lose your faith in people, that will be to let the bad guys win for sure.

mandysugarcubes said:
on our way to see an art exhibit in la boca on sunday afternoon my boyfriend and were attacked by four youngish guys. Punched, kicked, beaten, my purse and cell stolen all while a woman looked out her window above as i was screaming for help & policia. Nada. Horrible!

As sorry as I am to read about it, I hope this story will stop people from going to La Boca. It's a really tacky tourist trap!

Perhaps it will stop others from coming to BA in the first place. It's far more dangerous than it was four or five years ago.

Nothing to say other than I'm sorry this happened, shocked that thhis happend in broad daylight, and hope these guys get caught some how.

I'm sorry to hear this... Boca is definitely an area to watch your back in, and is full of predators. We had a similar thing happen to us when we first arrived (different barrio, though, I was scoping out an internship site out in Mataderos) and it's extremely shaking and unnerving. I hope you guys are recovering mentally and physically.

Reading your story made me feel so sad. I hope you get well soon.

So sorry to hear what you have been through. La Boca when there is such a huge match as the Superclasico at la Bombonera is not a good place to be. On a normal day you would have just been robbed most likely, but people in general are very excited ( in diff ways ) when these games take place.

La Boca, and other neighborhoods are really not safe for expats, unless you really blend in. The only place you can safely walk in La Boca is Caminito and the Riachuelo walk.

I'm sorry for what happened to you. But really, how many warnings do people need about this area? Read any travel guide and the same thing is said about La Boca. This is the third story I've heard about people getting beaten and mugged in a year.

Last year, I met a group of young women who were here doing internships, and I warned them about La Boca. They just rolled their eyes and said, "Oh yeah, we'll be fine." They took the bus there with some Brazilian tourists. Whatddya know, they get off the bus, and all of them get attacked. The other story is pretty much the same.

I would come to Buenos Aires, CF. It's such a wonderful city. But take the warnings seriously. People in the guidebooks and here aren't just saying "Be careful!" to amuse themselves.

Back