Been down here 3 months and got beat-up & mugged

Sad to hear this story, but I must say I am surprised that more people haven't noted that the OP went to La Boca the day that the Superclasico (Boca-River) was being played IN La Boca.

Yes, the neighborhood is already sketchy enough, but when die-hards are swarming around the stadium the day of the biggest sporting event in the country, AND have to be controlled by riot police because fans with tickets were unable to get into the stadium after it filled to capacity...

I'm not trying to blame the victim; what happened happened and it's very unfortunate. The Superclasico may have been coincidental. Still, as far as precautionary measures go there are certainly better days to stroll through the neighborhood.

philamote said:
Sad to hear this story, but I must say I am surprised that more people haven't noted that the OP went to La Boca the day that the Superclasico (Boca-River) was being played IN La Boca.

Yes, the neighborhood is already sketchy enough, but when die-hards are swarming around the stadium the day of the biggest sporting event in the country, AND have to be controlled by riot police because fans with tickets were unable to get into the stadium after it filled to capacity...

I'm not trying to blame the victim; what happened happened and it's very unfortunate. The Superclasico may have been coincidental. Still, as far as precautionary measures go there are certainly better days to stroll through the neighborhood.

Very good point actully, I was watching the game on sunday (on tv) and I didn't even think of this.

Totally valid point about the game. I was meeting a friend in La Boca (not in caminito) once on a game day, and as it was nearing sundown a kiosk owner who I bought phone credit from warned me to hurry up and get out of the neighborhood before someone heard my accent--or dread, me speaking English--and I got hurt. Needless to say I got out of there. Sure, injuries/attacks/robberies can happen anywhere in the city, but there are definitely zonas where it's more likely to happen than others. Boca surely is one.

I worked an internship in La Boca for three months or so in my first year here for a defensoria (a community shelter that works to protect the rights of women and children). While there I was occasionally sent on errands into the neighborhood by myself, and I was always sent off with *strict* instructions to carry nothing but the papers I was delivering and I wouldn't have problems. I didn't, but if I'd been walking around with a purse or bulging pockets I may have. The warnings need be taken to heart, it is a dangerous barrio.

I plan on heading down to BA in late October by myself and to stay for a few weeks. Aside from La Boca, what other barrios should I avoid in the daytime? Also, is pepper spray legal? I keep a small spray bottle in my car for trips to Los Angeles. Perhaps a squirt or two would keep robbers at bay.

C5N just ran a special report this morning on tourists increasingly becoming the victims of crime in Buenos Aires. I translated the host's introduction:

Those who visit the Capital tend to be victims of crime. According to a survey conducted by the Argentine Association for the Right to Tourism, criminal acts against tourists rose by 23 percent. Last year, 812 crimes were reported. 59% of the scams and robberies occurred in San Telmo, Retiro, and the Pedestrian Streets Florida & Lavalle, although the Caminito, La Boca, and the subway station 9 de Julio are dangerous areas as well. Tourists... amid crime and scams.

LINK to the video.

stefano said:
I plan on heading down to BA in late October by myself and to stay for a few weeks. Aside from La Boca, what other barrios should I avoid in the daytime? Also, is pepper spray legal? I keep a small spray bottle in my car for trips to Los Angeles. Perhaps a squirt or two would keep robbers at bay.

Depends on what standard of safety you're looking for. On the most extreme end I could tell you not to wander from the boardwalks in Puerto Madero, then I could say not to stray south of Santa Fe, all the way down to saying you could walk the whole city (some people do).

As I said, I've never had a problem in la boca during the day, but that is on the very limit of my comfort zone. I mean, some people say to avoid Once and pequena corea while others of us routinely shop there. I also know a girl who got grabbed off the street and thrown into the back of a van in vincente lopez which is a very nice area.

bradlyhale said:
C5N just ran a special report this morning on tourists increasingly becoming the victims of crime in Buenos Aires. I translated the host's introduction:

Those who visit the Capital tend to be victims of crime. According to a survey conducted by the Argentine Association for the Right to Tourism, criminal acts against tourists rose by 23 percent. Last year, 812 crimes were reported. 59% of the scams and robberies occurred in San Telmo, Retiro, and the Pedestrian Streets Florida & Lavalle, although the Caminito, La Boca, and the subway station 9 de Julio are dangerous areas as well. Tourists... amid crime and scams.

LINK to the video.

I'm guessing that Retiro, Florida, Lavalle, Defensa & 9 de Julio station are probably mostly pickpocketings or purse snatching made simpler by the massive amounts of pedestrian congestion.

PhilipDT said:
I'm guessing that Retiro, Florida, Lavalle, Defensa & 9 de Julio station are probably mostly pickpocketings or purse snatching made simpler by the massive amounts of pedestrian congestion.

Most of it is pickpocketing, which isn't the end of the world. On Florida or Lavalle, if anything unusual happens, just keep going about your business and clutch your bags. The other day I was walking down Lavalle and some guys threw out a key (a llave) behind this couple carrying tons of shopping bags. Immediately, a couple nearby started yelling, "Se te cayo una llave! Se te cayo una llave." They came over, bent over to see the key, and who knows if they got anything.

The name of the game is distraction. If anything out of the ordinary is happening (people throwing keys, a couple arguing on the Subway, a group of people pushing you, etc.), something is probably wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEyWUavlyQU&feature=fvwrel <-- An excellent video showing how the punguistas (pickpocketers) work..

Can everyone stop getting mugged?

tumblr_l5zf6qrFn81qao9tko1_500.jpg

Back