being a girl on the subway

Carry a large pin (preferably an old-fashioned hat pin) and stick it into the Romeo. It won't kill him, but will make him step back mighty quickly.

that kind of stuff used to happen in NYC when I lived there, I'd say just punch him in the nose and leave.
Nancy

Sorry to hear that was your experience. My sister was actually telling me that it happened to her in the bondi (bus) but since she's argentinian shes used to it. Just turn around a scream at him with a pissed of expression, and even say "FUCK YOU" if you don't speak spanish, he'll get the message. You'll eventually get used to telling guys to fuck off, my sis has turned it into a sport. Good Luck!

It´s true that the men here act more aggressively than in N. America, but what that guy did is completely out of line in any culture!!! I hope there is no next time, but if there is, don´t be afraid to make a scene -- with so many pairs of eyes around, people will take notice and will help you out.

I´m speaking from personal experience -- once when I was just walking down the street (one I´ve walked dozens of times, just in Caballito in broad daylight), this guy on a red motorcycle just started following me, circling around me on the sidewalk and saying really inappropriate things... he even touched me, it was really frightening! The street was empty, but the moment I screamed, several people ran out to see what was going on. They were very sympathetic and asked their neighbors further down the street if they saw anything, etc. even offering to call the police.

Anyway most of the time when subtes and colectivos are super-crowded, to me it always seems that people are hyper-aware of personal space here and try not to touch, at least not without a ¨pardon¨ or ¨disculpa¨... that is, after that one person squeezes into the door at the very last second!

i will be there in a few weeks and a story like this is disconcerting to say the least. I am no wall flower by any means and had a really tough big brother so standing up to men is not something I have ever had a problem with. I suppose my only fear would be retaliation. I something like this were to happen and i yelled or pushed or smacedk (i do have a bit of a temper) would I be asking for trouble? Another thought that had occured to me while reading this is maybe its good to carry a safety pin or something so if someone grabs you, you can give them a good sharp, silent poke..
Thoughts?

PS, I've lived in NYC for nine years and in DC for 5 years before that. I have been hit on and occasionally harassed, but NEVER touched or threatened. Maybe I'm just lucky and smart enough not to cuss out the wrong people. If they tell me im pretty I thank them and keep on moving. Being a bish often provokes them even more...

arty said:
Welcome to Argentina!
Oh, come on, this is not normal!

Quentin.Daniels said:
I squeeze(not hard but a gentle stroke)girls ass all the time on the subte
We've got a suspect! :D

Jokes aside, telling him to f*** off will surely work, other people in the subte might start "inquiring" him. He will then leave you alone. You can do it in an language you want, if you looked angry enough he will understand.

RogueTango said:
i will be there in a few weeks and a story like this is disconcerting to say the least. I am no wall flower by any means and had a really tough big brother so standing up to men is not something I have ever had a problem with. I suppose my only fear would be retaliation. I something like this were to happen and i yelled or pushed or smacedk (i do have a bit of a temper) would I be asking for trouble? Another thought that had occured to me while reading this is maybe its good to carry a safety pin or something so if someone grabs you, you can give them a good sharp, silent poke..
Thoughts?

as several in this thread have intimated, the OP was pretty unlucky and it's not normal to be treated like that on the subte. If it does happen and you "pin the guy" or yell at him, the guy is going to back the hell away and get off at the next station. These people like to work on the embarrassment felt by people and they know many of them prefer to suffer in silence rather than "make a scene".

Back