Best Cafes for Working

bradlyhale said:
You act as if Buenos Aires is the coffee capital of South America! The coffee in Buenos Aires is an atrocity. It's vile, disgusting, vomit-inducing crap. I don't have enough adjectives in my vocabulary to show how much I detest that "coffee."

The coffee shops in Buenos Aires are cute, but the vast majority I've been in don't have outlets to plug-in the computers; WiFi access is sketchy; and again, the coffee is horrendous.

McDonald's isn't that great either. No outlets to plug-in, as far as I know.

So, if I had to tell you a place to go, I'd recommend Starbucks in Puerto Madero. The place is 100% marketing. However, Starbucks is unfortunately the only place in Buenos Aires where you can buy a cup of coffee that isn't going to make your stomach turn. The downside of Starbucks is that it's too "cool," so you have all of the 20something Argentines trying to keep up with the Joneses. Good luck finding a place to sit, unless you go way out to the Starbucks locations in Puerto Madero.

You are a usa american whinger . You know that your cities have no coffee shops at all but you complain about the thousands of cafes available for your enjoyment and without the pushy attitude of the usa people.

Buenos Aires is too good for people like you

cabrera said:
You are a usa american whinger . You know that your cities have no coffee shops at all but you complain about the thousands of cafes available for your enjoyment and without the pushy attitude of the usa people.

You're a trip. :rolleyes:

Spacious Krakow Bar in San Telmo on Venezuela 474 (betw Defensa and Bolivar) is my favorite spot on weekdays. A plus - about twelve taps and Nintendo Wii if you need a break. Too packed on weekends though.

Just for the ambience, The Ateneo Gran Splendid in the old theatre on Santa Fe. If you are script-writing or anything of the ilk it is quite ideal to write down the words from the very place they should be presented, the café is on the theatre stage.

cabrera said:

actually we do have decent, independent coffee shops in our cities. as a huge coffee snob, i'm so disappointed of the quality of coffee here. seriously. cafe con leche is not latte. and i can't believe i'm having a hard time finding mocha here...

I love cafe BEN on Serrano and Av Cnel. Niceto Vega in Palermo Soho because the internet is fast and there's barely anyone there. Not open late...

An interesting place is the camera museum & cafe in Chacarita on Federico Lacroze and Fraga; you can take the 39 bus there from Palermo (or jump on the Subte or a train depending where you're coming from), and once inside you're surrounded by vintage photography equipment.

For those missing mochas, try Havanna, they're more or less the local-grown version of Starbucks in terms of both ambiance and drink offerings, and have dependable internet and a scattering of places to plug in. They're located all over BsAs, so are easy to find.

To the OP, if your work is computer related, why not invest in a backup battery so you don't need to worry about whether the cafe has an outlet or not? There are an endless number of cafes in BA with free WiFi.

I've literally spent the entire day working on my computer without interruption except to take a break, stretch my legs and walk to the next cafe, order a cortado and settle in for another few hours.

Life is too short to spend the day working at Starbucks or McDonalds.

I saw my first robbery/ theft attempt here in BA at the Starbucks on Malabia today.

Two thuggish dudes in shades with yellow tint were trying to steal a guy's bag who was seated (oblivious) at the counter on the stools. A third guy (also wearing bad tinted shades) came over to those of us seated at the back wall and tried talking to us in order to distract us from seeing the two guy's attempt at stealing the bag at the counter.

We weren't distracted and they didn't get the bag.

I know this shit happens here or in any other big city for that matter all the time. Anyhow, I thought I'd throw out a friendly reminder to not get too comfortable when working from a cafe. Especially if you think working from a Starbucks is "safe". Always be on guard. It's too easy to get comfortable.

I find it really sad that so many people come to this amazing city to 'experience' living in a new culture, new language, new country and then cluster together in little english speaking gangs in places like Starbucks rather than finding one of the many special and unique place that typifies the country they are in. If Starbucks is so great you may aswell move back to the states. There is good coffee here. Coffee did exist before the the invention of superfrappacrappamochachinos. A bit of frothy milk is not worth paying 3 times the price for.

Back