Cafes For Writing And For Thinking

Tommy1978

Registered
Hi all,

One of my primary purposes being here in BA is to write and develop ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good atmospheric cafes or bars where it would be worthwhile to visit and work in?

I am based in Retiro by Cordoba and willing to travel.

any neighborhood.

or please feel free to share experiences working in the cafes of BA.

Thanks in advance

bc br

Apologies to Hemingway, et al, as a writer I have found that cafes and serious writing usually don't mix. When I want to get serious writing done I lock myself in our 1/2 bathroom with a sign on the door that says "Don't Bother Me!" and I disable my wifi. I get my serious work done sitting on the toilet. :)

Apologies to Hemingway, et al, as a writer I have found that cafes and serious writing usually don't mix. When I want to get serious writing done I lock myself in our 1/2 bathroom with a sign on the door that says "Don't Bother Me!" and I disable my wifi. I get my serious work done sitting on the toilet. :)

Right on. That's where I conduct business calls. You might as well kill two birds with one stone. Matar dos pajaros con un tiro.

Cafes are good for dreaming and thinking (for me) but serious writing I do at home. I also am not a fan of taking a computer to a cafe, kind of ruins the vibe and not terribly safe. Not incredibly unsafe, but they probably get stolen more often then a cafe in New York.*
I haven´t been there in years, but La Academia (callao casi corrientes) if filled with people working but very old school. El Britanico has gotten a bit too clean, but it is classic and open 24 hours. Good place to get depressed. Defensa y Brasil. El Federal is also good, Peru y Carlos Calvo, but they have the worse waiters in the history of waiting. Ironically, La Poesia, owned by the same owner, has nicer waiters (Chile casi Bolivar).

*don´t want to get into a big safety discussion, I am from NY and think BsAs is safer than New York, or similar, but would also say there is more theft. If you do take a computer, NEVER let it out of your site, not to go to the bar, go the bathroom, etc.

You and Franzen.....

one writers routine is another's nightmare - something like that?

I can do first draft in crowds (as long as I don't know anyone)

Final edits and stitching together - could be on the loo for certain. have to be seriously concentrating. ;)

Cafes are good for dreaming and thinking (for me) but serious writing I do at home. I also am not a fan of taking a computer to a cafe, kind of ruins the vibe and not terribly safe. Not incredibly unsafe, but they probably get stolen more often then a cafe in New York.*
I haven´t been there in years, but La Academia (callao casi corrientes) if filled with people working but very old school. El Britanico has gotten a bit too clean, but it is classic and open 24 hours. Good place to get depressed. Defensa y Brasil. El Federal is also good, Peru y Carlos Calvo, but they have the worse waiters in the history of waiting. Ironically, La Poesia, owned by the same owner, has nicer waiters (Chile casi Bolivar).

*don´t want to get into a big safety discussion, I am from NY and think BsAs is safer than New York, or similar, but would also say there is more theft. If you do take a computer, NEVER let it out of your site, not to go to the bar, go the bathroom, etc.

thanks

like the sound of those. El Britanico might work well.

My days writing is likely 80% sitting depressed, 10% "about to write" and 10% writing (of which 2% is usable).

thanks

like the sound of those. El Britanico might work well.

My days writing is likely 80% sitting depressed, 10% "about to write" and 10% writing (of which 2% is usable).

Hemingway was a drunk, maybe that improved his focus. Seriously, when you can't write, when you're blocked and sitting there bummed about it, (not on the toilet), read Hemingway for inspiration. I will recommend again For Whom The Bell Tolls. If that doesn't work, go for a walk.

I don't know what your needs are, For me the absence of music is basic. I find that I can tune out conversation -- the liveliness of a place actually energizes me. Music though (invariably rock and pop) is very distracting to me. I just can't tune it out. That severely restricts where I can go. Although some of the waiters are arrogant, LA BIELA (corner of Quintana in front of the Recoleta cemetery) is the best place in my view. It is large, comfortable, the coffee is above average and there is no music. Some people might suggest the Tortoni but I find it depressing - sorely in need of restoration. Also far too many tourists for comfort. Do readers have any suggestions regarding cafes without music preferably Retiro/Recoleta/Centro/Tribunales?

If you like book store/cafes, 3 good ones are:

Libros del Pasaje on Thames 1762 in Palermo Soho

Eterna Cadencia on Honduras 5574 in Palermo Hollywood

Clasica y Moderna on Callo 892 in Recoleta

Back