Best city besides Buenos Aires for foreigner to live in?

Lost Pilgrim

Registered
I like nature, culture, safety, and community. Don't care about nightlife, food, football.

I heard Cordoba, Mendoza, and San Carlos de Bariloche are nice. Any hidden gems?

I like nature, culture, safety, and community. Don't care about nightlife, food, football.

I heard Cordoba, Mendoza, and San Carlos de Bariloche are nice. Any hidden gems?
Ant of these three....depends on what you want to do. Cordoba is the largest of the three obviously.

If you like small towns, La Cumbre (and neighboring towns) in the Sierras de Córdoba. It used to be premier Anglo-Argentine hill town resort for the railway expats, after WWII, the British did a comprehensive survey of the best places to live in the world and La Cumbre was in the top 5. After the British left, it has stagnated a bit, but still has great homes, clubs, recreation and restaurants for a town its size.

If you like German culture, Villa General Belgrano, is a mini Bariloche with chocolate shops and microbreweries. It is where the sailors from the Adm. Graf Spee settled in Argentina as well as where Kurt Tank, Germany's WWII top fighter plane designer also called home after the war.

If you like small towns, La Cumbre (and neighboring towns) in the Sierras de Córdoba. It used to be premier Anglo-Argentine hill town resort for the railway expats, after WWII, the British did a comprehensive survey of the best places to live in the world and La Cumbre was in the top 5. After the British left, it has stagnated a bit, but still has great homes, clubs, recreation and restaurants for a town its size.
I could live in la Cumbre...if I had $255K USD (plus all the extra costs) to spend on a house.

And if I had $345K USD (plus all the extra costs) to spend, I could live here:

And if I had $430K USD (plus all the extra costs) to spend, I would want to live here:

Last edited:

Tandil in the province of Buenos Aires is a safe city with nearby sierras ideal for adventure sports such as hiking, mountain biking. The city has never voted for the 'K's which may explain its prosperous status and its attraction for high tech companies and talent to settle there.

Perhaps choose a city in the Province of Buenos Aires, within say 150 Kmts. from BA. A 2 1/2 hour minibus from Capital. So you can enjoy all the benefits and attractions in BA.
Namely cities like, Mercedes, Chivilcoy, San Andres de Giles, 25 de Mayo, Carmen de Areco.

Mendoza is a great walkable city. Beautiful tree lined streets. Great year round weather. Decent public transportation, though to get the the scenic mountains it still takes the use of a car or extended research and planning of public transport.

San Carlos de Bariloche is much smaller city center that will quickly bore if you like long urban walks. Public transportation to very near trailheads with access to a large network of trails. easy access to get to farther mountain areas. Large network of mountain huts. Big windy lake. Year round activities even in the cold weather months. Club Andino is knowledgeable social outdoor organization. The gateway to all the other smaller “northern“ Patagonia outdoor oriented towns, for those who might burnout from the overrun of tourists.

Mendoza is a great walkable city. Beautiful tree lined streets. Great year round weather. Decent public transportation, though to get the the scenic mountains it still takes the use of a car or extended research and planning of public transport.
* Mendoza city the gateway to smaller livable San Rafael, and even tiny mountain town of Marlagüe both in Mendoza province. Explore to the north to San Juan city and the entire Valle Fértil department of San Juan province.

Back