Best city besides Buenos Aires for foreigner to live in?

El Bolson and just a bit more to the south is Esquel (Chubut province) are both nice. Esquel is smaller with access to the Los Alerces national park
Have now been to some other places in the area. Despite the breathtaking mountains, lakes, and vastness it's too bleak for me. Towns consistent of kitschy tourist strip surrounded by delapidated houses. Overcast with strong cold wind and droplets. Weather and house styles remind me of Seattle. But hard to grow any food hwre. Scenery is beautiful but I find it depressing. Probably would kill myself living here. Most likely by flinging myself into one of those forbidding freezing alpine lakes with ocean like waves.

Has anyone lived in Confluencia? I saw some beautiful lots driving down to Bariloche along the river/dam that look like a nice place to live. I'd love to live in Patagonia but my husband's response whenever I bring this up is "Bueno, vendré a visitarte un par de veces al mes." so I don't think that's happening 🙃, not that there's anything wrong with CABA, I like the city, but sometimes I dream about the rural life, growing cherries and apples and corn and big gardens and such.

As for El Bolson, I was there last year for a day trip and the vibes are not great... there's been lots of conflict with indigenous communities and the city was incredibly polluted, people were burning trash and leaves and for 5 miles or so there as a giant cloud of smoke hanging over the area, you couldn't even see the mountains half the time. Maybe it was just the day I visited, but it doesn't seem to be the relaxed place it used to be.

Have now been to some other places in the area. Despite the breathtaking mountains, lakes, and vastness it's too bleak for me. Towns consistent of kitschy tourist strip surrounded by delapidated houses. Overcast with strong cold wind and droplets. Weather and house styles remind me of Seattle. But hard to grow any food hwre. Scenery is beautiful but I find it depressing. Probably would kill myself living here. Most likely by flinging myself into one of those forbidding freezing alpine lakes with ocean like waves.
I like Esquel more because it is smaller. I like the Nacional Park nearby. Bolson feels chaotic and not as organized.

After taking the lakes route north thru Bariloche, Villa La Angostura, San Martín de los Andes, and Junín de los Andes, continue the long drive up route 40 to the annual Chivo festival in Chos Malal this weekend. I have been to the tiny city several times, though never the festivals. The northern most part of northern Patagonia. The Arid opposite of humid area of Bolson.

Last edited:
I like Esquel more because it is smaller. I like the Nacional Park nearby. Bolson feels chaotic and not as organized.

After taking the lakes route north thru Bariloche, Villa La Angostura, San Martín de los Andes, and Junín de los Andes, continue the long drive up route 40 to the annual Chivo festival in Chos Malal this weekend. I have been to the tiny city several times, though never the festivals. The northern most part of northern Patagonia. The Arid opposite of humid area of Bolson.
Sounds good unfortunately no time. My most northern explored point will be Junín. To return to San Carlos, rather than backtracking ruta 40, I'm thinking of taking ruta 237 that goes through Rincoñada. Not as scenic but will allow me to sew the flat, windswept, deserted part of the Patagonia. Good idea?

Sounds good unfortunately no time. My most northern explored point will be Junín. To return to San Carlos, rather than backtracking ruta 40, I'm thinking of taking ruta 237 that goes through Rincoñada. Not as scenic but will allow me to sew the flat, windswept, deserted part of the Patagonia. Good idea?
I do not recall Rincoñada though have probably past through there. It should be fine, yet slow. I do know ruta 237 from Pedra de Alquila, so part of the route I think you are asking about. Last December we drove that to stay in Traful. A small town of mostly cabanas and family full service camp grounds on the lake. Others travel there easier from San Martin. They were just converting the main lake road from ripio to asphalt, so everyone expects it to change dramaticly now that there is easy access. Some nice short hikes to waterfalls and long hikes to peaks.

On 234 and (maybe base on lake level) 237 before corral de Piedra keep your eyes open for guanacos, choiques and especially look for shallow pools in the fields where you will probably find flamingos.

I usually always see choiques and guanacos here and have seen flamingos twice.

Near Piedra de Aguila you'll see many parrots and sometimes guanacos.

I don't tell them that I was following Glenn Beck's advice to "buy land where you can grow your own food" (and to prepare for future cost increases for food, fuel, and many tools and supplies
That's my vision as well, which I was pursuing in rural Japan until I found out the hard way that Japanese bureaucracy will never allow me to realize my dream there.

That's why I'm selling my house in Japan and looking for a place in Latin America to start over: https://realestate.co.jp/en/forsale/view/999046

I recently got my General amateur radio license which will enable me to communicate world-wide independenly of the grid. I also just bought a freeze dryer (www.harvestright.com) which I'm learning how to use to create a cache of food which will last up to twenty-five years.

I thought from reading other posts you weren't too hot on living in Neuquen.
That's beside the point lol. Everyone should experience it at least once.... And everything this person desires exists here.

Windswept? Yes
Desert? Yes
Fruit? Yes
Tourists? No
Real Argentina BS? Yes
Tranqui? Mostly.
Rivers? Yes

That's my vision as well, which I was pursuing in rural Japan until I found out the hard way that Japanese bureaucracy will never allow me to realize my dream there.

That's why I'm selling my house in Japan and looking for a place in Latin America to start over: https://realestate.co.jp/en/forsale/view/999046

I recently got my General amateur radio license which will enable me to communicate world-wide independenly of the grid. I also just bought a freeze dryer (www.harvestright.com) which I'm learning how to use to create a cache of food which will last up to twenty-five years.
Are you East Asian? If a collapse comes, you want to blend into the local population.

Back