Best Countries For Expats 2017 – Ranked

This seems like a thorough survey, 12,500 respondents in 65 countries.

I'm getting a good laugh at some of the countries that are considered better than Argentina: Uganda. Myanmar. Russia. Kenya. Philippines. South Korea (bomb shelter optional).

Argentina does get ranked higher, #17, in personal happiness. I sometimes think this is due to the attitude of the expats that come here.
Also ranked #3 in Finding Friends.

#61/65 in Safety.

5th from bottom in Political Stability.

3rd from bottom in Peacefulness.

64th in Job Security, only Greece is worse.

#1 in most satisfied with Romantic Relationships. Include me. 56% of expats are in love with a local.

53rd in Cost of Living.

Only Israel has more passionate and outgoing citizens.

Well kept secret hope it stays that way but Iam not in BA I am far far in the north where the fishing is awsome and women are off the charts.

This seems like a thorough survey, 12,500 respondents in 65 countries.

I'm getting a good laugh at some of the countries that are considered better than Argentina: Uganda. Myanmar. Russia. Kenya. Philippines. South Korea (bomb shelter optional).

Argentina does get ranked higher, #17, in personal happiness. I sometimes think this is due to the attitude of the expats that come here.
Also ranked #3 in Finding Friends.

#61/65 in Safety.

5th from bottom in Political Stability.

3rd from bottom in Peacefulness.

64th in Job Security, only Greece is worse.

#1 in most satisfied with Romantic Relationships. Include me. 56% of expats are in love with a local.

53rd in Cost of Living.

Only Israel has more passionate and outgoing citizens.

Argentina is also:

# 15 in leisure options

# 17 in personal happiness

# 27 in health and well being

Regarding the lows Jeff cited:

#61/65 in Safety.

"5th from bottom in Political Stability."

This is a very broad question and I immediately thought of two additional questions :

Is an overthrow of the government likely?

Are expats who have temporary or permanent residency concerned that a change in the government will result in their deportation from Argentina?

"3rd from bottom in Peacefulness."

Wouldn't this depend on where an expat is living in Argentina? Even in Capital Federal, where most expats undoubtedly reside, where isn't it peaceful?

I'd say it wasn't peaceful if stores were being looted or there was a noticeable police or military presence in the streets, otherwise I wonder why anyone would think that it isn't peaceful..

"64th in Job Security, only Greece is worse."

I wonder if the question would have revealed more if the word availability was used instead of security.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see a question about ease of getting temporary or permanent residency or citizenship. or the consequence of not having "legal: residency in any of the countries on the list.

I think that's an unfortunate omission, as Argentina might be at (or at least near) the top of the list for those questions.

PS Perhaps another relevant question would have been about the "ease"of transferring funds from abroad into the expat's country of residence.

That's probably one in which Argentina would rank near the bottom of the list, though it's something I never found to be very difficult.

PS2: Just wanted to add the italicized words to this sentence:

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I'd say it wasn't peaceful if stores were being looted or there was a noticeable police or military presence in the streets following a series of violent public demonstrations (think Venezuela), otherwise I wonder why anyone would think that it isn't peaceful..[/background]

The job security ranking amazed me. As a former employer in Argentina, I always found it to be nigh impossible to fire someone without huge cost!

Argentina is also:

# 15 in leisure options

# 17 in personal happiness

# 27 in health and well being

Regarding the lows Jeff cited:

#61/65 in Safety.

"5th from bottom in Political Stability."

This is a very broad question and I immediately thought of two additional questions :

Is an overthrow of the government likely?

Are expats who have temporary or permanent residency concerned that a change in the government will result in their deportation from Argentina?

"3rd from bottom in Peacefulness."

Wouldn't this depend on where an expat is living in Argentina? Even in Capital Federal, where most expats undoubtedly reside, where isn't it peaceful?

I'd say it wasn't peaceful if stores were being looted or there was a noticeable police or military presence in the streets, otherwise I wonder why anyone would think that it isn't peaceful..

"64th in Job Security, only Greece is worse."

I wonder if the question would have revealed more if the word availability was used instead of security.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see a question about ease of getting temporary or permanent residency or citizenship. or the consequence of not having "legal: residency in any of the countries on the list.

I think that's an unfortunate omission, as Argentina might be at (or at least near) the top of the list for those questions.

PS Perhaps another relevant question would have been about the "ease"of transferring funds from abroad into the expat's country of residence.

That's probably one in which Argentina would rank near the bottom of the list, though it's something I never found to be very difficult.

Of course Steve is correct. Without knowing the methodology, the exact wording of the questions used, how the expats were selected, etc this survey should not be taken too seriously.

Job security? Do you really want a country where everyone is secure in their jobs?

I'm pretty sure that no one edited the conclusions, ie: that Myanmar is better for expats than Argentina. That's laughable, just ask The Rohingya's, you can stop one as they run by, fleeing for their lives.

Not a word on inflation. Or availability of the consumer products products that make life comfortable. Or street crime. Or corruption. Or availability/quality/cost of medical care.

I did find the ratings on romantic relationships, finding friends and personal happiness to agree with my impressions. There are so many expat posts on bringing a partner into Argentina.

My friend who lives part time in Italy had a good laugh at being ranked #60 overall behind China and Russia who are well known for their thriving expat communities, beautiful beaches and wonderful cuisine.

The goal of these "rankings" articles is not to spread accurate, useful information but to convince you to read their web page and click on one of their ads, or subscribe so you can later click on one of their ads.

Feet on the ground.

Back