Best country to move to when life in Argentina becomes intolerable

First and obvious choice would be neighboring countries with Paraguay as first. Then easy return to Argentina when it is about to get better.

Second choice, I have to agree with Colombia fans: nice culture, friendly people, inexpensive, best healthcare, good expat support and infrastructure.

if i can't earn money and have a productive life, I don't find it very interesting. I can cook wondetful meals with very few ingredients so fortunately I don't need restaurants. Weather is important for me.

I have visited all the countries of South America except the Guineas , Suriname , and Guyana . After Argentina my favourite countries are Peru , Ecuador, Bolivia , and maybe Brazil ( the crime of Brazil does concern me though) . Ecuador is drop dead gorgeous and the small cities of Banos , and Villacamba are beautiful and tranquil . Quito and Guayaquil are both great cities but crime can be a large problem in both these cities .

Peru is overlooked by Argentinian people due to classism . Peru is very safe these days especially the city of Arequipa which has one of the lowest crime rates of Latin America , has a stable economy , good infrastructure in Lima and Arequipa , best and freshest food of Latin America , vibrant culture including the incan history and the amazonian tribal culture . Peru has also some of the most beautiful scenery in the planet and much of it it unspoilt . The amazon jungle of Peru is an incredible experience rich in tradition .The cities of Iquitos and Pucullpa, and Tingo Maria are superb bases to explore the amazon and experience ayahuasca ( legal in Peru ).

Peru currently is the best economy of Latin America and it has the lowest inflation on the continent . Many expats are opening businesses there and start up costs are much lower than Argentina . The cities of Arequipa , Cusco, and Iquitos are the best cities to explore business options and have a relaxed and vibrant lifestyle .

Life takes me to Guayaquil a few times a month. Its quite a UGLY city.

Quito was OK. I remember they were selling real Christmas trees on the street in a pleasant upscale neighborhood. Because of the elevation it was nice and cool in December when it was miserably hot and humid in BA.

Quito was OK. I remember they were selling real Christmas trees on the street in a pleasant upscale neighborhood. Because of the elevation it was nice and cool in December when it was miserably hot and .

I agree about Peru, the food is amazing. Still, not sure I would want to live there, especially since Lima is crazy. Chilean culture and vibes of the people don’t draw me in at all. Uruguay too sleepy and you need three flights to get there. Easier international connections are a plus as Argentina is such a pain to get to and so expensive which is another reason I’m intrigued by Colombia. We have friends who just moved there and love it. Plan to visit.

I think it would really depend on why you are in Argentina in the first place. I dont see any of those as a suitable substitute for Buenos Aires. None of the things I like about argentina are in any of those places.
I guess I would consider DF, in Mexico, as a somewhat interesting alternative- but for me the altitude is a bit of an issue.

But to compare Lima or Quito or Medellin to BA?
not for me.

Maybe Lisbon, or Paris, Barcelona, but all have their own issues.
A fair amount of my US friends have been buying in Portugal lately- its still reasonably cheap, but interesting and not collapsing under right wing austerity, like London or Rome.

But what possible similarities are there to a life in Buenos Aires to Asuncion? BA has 650 small theaters. 4 or 5 different music choices a night. 10,000 restaurants. Manufacturers of all kinds of materials and tools and products. A lively music, fashion, art, architecture, dance, literature, and film scene. A highly educated creative class. Paraguay has Mennonites and old fascists... and, I am sure, some very nice people.

San Miguel is full of geriatric artsy american retirees, illegal immigrants all, living a life of not much. Its BORING.

Is it really only about cheap? is that why you are all here?

Even nobody believes this is going to be Venezuela, the fact is that the exchange benefits expats right now and it is going to be better. The dolar blue is dead but Contado con Liqui was 70 on Friday.

Back