Best country to move to when life in Argentina becomes intolerable

Good Lord that's a snobbish post. Most Americans won't even consider living overseas no matter how difficult their retirement circumstances. Anyone who looks at retirement places touted online rarely sees Argentina listed as an option and even then usually it's Buenos Aires. Hats off to anyone savvy enough to figure out that Argentina had a significant advantage over other places with the Western Union rate. Bottom feeders. Keeping up with the Jones's alive and well in Argentina?
There's nothing wrong with wanting to live somewhere affordable, but a lot of people who post here would happily have the locals slaving away for a dollar a day if it meant that they could live like kings on their social security payments. That's exploitative, and wishing poverty on everyone around you so you can be marginally better off makes you a pretty ugly person, moreso when you actually take action towards maintaining the status quo so everyone around you falls farther into poverty. So yes, bottom feeders.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to live somewhere affordable, but a lot of people who post here would happily have the locals slaving away for a dollar a day if it meant that they could live like kings on their social security payments. That's exploitative, and wishing poverty on everyone around you so you can be marginally better off makes you a pretty ugly person, moreso when you actually take action towards maintaining the status quo so everyone around you falls farther into poverty. So yes, bottom feeders.

Can you give some examples of comments that have led you to believe that "a great many local expats are bottom feeders," and that "a lot of people who post here would happily have the locals slaving away for a dollar a day if it meant that they could live like kings on their social security payments, and "[have actually taken] action towards maintaining the status quo so everyone around you falls farther into poverty?"

Because I can't recall any comments here in the forums that suggest any of that.

Seriously, I'm very interested. Perhaps I'm very naive, and I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

You're assuming they want that. Expats don't have any control over how the Argentineans choose to run their country. If they have a corrupt government that's running them into the ground it's not the expats' fault. If they decide to install a government that improves their lot then expats have to decide if it's worth it to them to stay. I really like Argentina. But if it's now more expensive then I'm likely to go to Guatemala where I can get quick, affordable flights to see family in Florida. I'm an American, and as such I'm on the outside looking in so have to decide what works best for me. If you're more heavily invested in a country great. But I don't think I have to bleed white and baby blue to prove my commitment to your favorite country. If Argentina once again becomes as expensive or more expensive than the U.S. I'm betting a lot more expats will decide it's no longer worth it to them.

Can you give some examples of comments that have led you to believe that "a great many local expats are bottom feeders," and that "a lot of people who post here would happily have the locals slaving away for a dollar a day if it meant that they could live like kings on their social security payments, and "[have actually taken] action towards maintaining the status quo so everyone around you falls farther into poverty?"

Because I can't recall any comments here in the forums that suggest any of that.

Seriously, I'm very interested. Perhaps I'm very naive, and I'm not seeing what you're seeing.
I remember a great many people supporting Massa not that long ago and not wanting to see the economic adjustment that is now happening ever occur.

You're assuming they want that. Expats don't have any control over how the Argentineans choose to run their country. If they have a corrupt government that's running them into the ground it's not the expats' fault. If they decide to install a government that improves their lot then expats have to decide if it's worth it to them to stay. I really like Argentina. But if it's now more expensive then I'm likely to go to Guatemala where I can get quick, affordable flights to see family in Florida. I'm an American, and as such I'm on the outside looking in so have to decide what works best for me. If you're more heavily invested in a country great. But I don't think I have to bleed white and baby blue to prove my commitment to your favorite country. If Argentina once again becomes as expensive or more expensive than the U.S. I'm betting a lot more expats will decide it's no longer worth it to them.
See, that's the difference. I'm here because Argentina offers opportunity now, in a way that is beneficial for both locals and for me. The US has nothing to offer; the place just keeps going downhill and once the electoral system becomes so corrupted there is no way forward without bloodshed, which I have no desire to be present for. The US is one massive ponzi scheme, and ponzi schemes only benefit those who get in first. I can't think of any actual productive economic activity that happens there anymore.

I'd rather be somewhere that offers freedom, and if things cost more yet there's the opportunity to earn more, so be it. That's a sign of a healthy economy. Argentina now offers freedom and the potential to earn an honest living. I'm here to do just that. The bottom feeders will have to find somewhere else to exploit the blood and sweat of the locals with their pensions paid in USD.

I remember a great many people supporting Massa not that long ago and not wanting to see the economic adjustment that is now happening ever occur.
I'm about as anti-Massa and anti-Kirchnerista as it's possible to be, but I read the comments of most of the people here as wanting the best for the Argentines, not for themselves. We just have different ideas about what the best way is to get there. Maybe some of them are misguided (😁), buy I think the hearts of most people here are in the right place.

27 trillion GDP, 50% higher than the world's second largest economy and 500% higher than the third, without any actual productive economic activity! Wow! That's some trick!
Printing dollars isn't productive economic activity, the only difference between the Federal Reserve and the BCRA is that people are still willing to take dollars in exchange for things of value, for now anyhow.

Printing dollars isn't productive economic activity, the only difference between the Federal Reserve and the BCRA is that people are still willing to take dollars in exchange for things of value, for now anyhow.
I'm baffled about how to respond to such a comment. You're making me look bad. I said in another post that many of your posts seem normal and reasonable. I guess I'd better have a closer look.

Last edited:
See, that's the difference. I'm here because Argentina offers opportunity now, in a way that is beneficial for both locals and for me. The US has nothing to offer; the place just keeps going downhill and once the electoral system becomes so corrupted there is no way forward without bloodshed, which I have no desire to be present for. The US is one massive ponzi scheme, and ponzi schemes only benefit those who get in first. I can't think of any actual productive economic activity that happens there anymore.

I'd rather be somewhere that offers freedom, and if things cost more yet there's the opportunity to earn more, so be it. That's a sign of a healthy economy. Argentina now offers freedom and the potential to earn an honest living. I'm here to do just that. The bottom feeders will have to find somewhere else to exploit the blood and sweat of the locals with their pensions paid in USD.
I think a lot of people would disagree with you about how healthy their economy is. The U.S. with all its problems still offers retirees a pension that they can spend in developing nations. As for actual productive activity I took a job driving temporarily last year picking up small loads of freight from factories and delivering them around the country. Just one of thousands doing similar. If you could see how many tractor-trailers are on the road at 2 a.m. you'd realize pretty quickly there's a lot of productive economic activity going on.

I took an accelerated pension so that I could retire at 55. Had some health issues. At 67 it drops to almost nothing so will have to mostly rely on Social Security. I'm willing to consider every option available to me. Visited 14 countries, liked Argentina the most. I'm 100% for them getting their act together to give their kids a future. But I'm not going to go anywhere where I'd be as strapped as I will be in the States. That's not bottom feeding, that's common sense.

Back