Best Mexican Food - Where?

There is an unassuming sea-side stand near the town of San Blas on Playa Hermosa, just north of Puerto Vallarta, that has the best Mexican food I've ever had. Fish tacos, burritos, enchilada's and very cold beer. All for $1US each. Spent 11 days there hanging out in a hammock on the beach during my motorcycle ride from San Diego to Buenos Aires. I almost married the cook's daughter. Such a dark-skinned beauty ... with eyes like emerald pools .... long, straight black hair ... brilliant smile ... oh, sorry.

We had Mexican last night at Mole on Cabildo 1400 (mas o menos) in Belgrano. Tried it 4 years ago and it was horrible. Last night was pretty good. However the "spicey" Mole Chicken that they had rated at "3 Peppers" didn't really hit the hot scale. You need to ask for their "special" hot sauce if you want anything with zing.

I have been routinely disappointed with Mexican food in Buenos Aires. For Ameri/Mex you can try California Burrito Company in el centro. Maybe it's on Lavallle?

Re: Mole, we ordered delivery (very lazy as it would take 5 mins to walk) and i was cruelly disappointed. I have had spicier milkshakes than the 3 pepper sauce! more disappointing were the tortillas, seemed to have the consistency of warm sponge. Did you eat in? Delivery was very bland, we threw the menu in the bin.

Being from South Texas, Mexican food is one of my favorite food. I have tried all of the mentioned places and agree with citygirl, they pretty much all suck. The best place I have found is La Fabrica del Taco at Gorriti 5062 in Palermo. They even have pastor tacos with corn tortillas, onions and cilantro like you would get in Mexico. They also have a decent hot sauce as well as ones for Argentines.

You can read the other reviews for yourself, but I LOVE Xalapa in Palermo and that's coming from a big Mexican food fan. They have authentic Mexican food and if spicy is what you're looking for, they got it! I always get the Chicken Mole with rice and flour tortillas. The portions are huge, the food is good, the drinks are great, and I'm a big fan....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g312741-d800047-Reviews-Xalapa-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

I like the tacos at La Fabrica del Taco also, I know it comes off a shawarma thing but I love all the sauces and onions that they give you, it makes for a goo 18 peso taco! haha. It's big though.

If you're doing homemade, you have to look up Pancho Villa Tortillas on facebook! She makes the best corn tortillas, and also she does other things like salsas and refried beans, super yummy.

I remember going to Xalapa when I first got to BA in 2008... I ordered a margarita and it was so bad I haven't been able to stomach margaritas since. This was back when I was all fresh and optimistic and I remember telling the guy that something was wrong, something was off, there's no way this margarita could be what they serve! haha, ohh how little I knew then! I don't remember the food, but I never once felt the desire to go back.

Re: Mole, we ordered delivery (very lazy as it would take 5 mins to walk) and i was cruelly disappointed. I have had spicier milkshakes than the 3 pepper sauce! more disappointing were the tortillas, seemed to have the consistency of warm sponge. Did you eat in? Delivery was very bland, we threw the menu in the bin.

Yes, we ate in. My experience has been 50/50.

I remember going to Xalapa when I first got to BA in 2008... I ordered a margarita and it was so bad I haven't been able to stomach margaritas since. This was back when I was all fresh and optimistic and I remember telling the guy that something was wrong, something was off, there's no way this margarita could be what they serve! haha, ohh how little I knew then! I don't remember the food, but I never once felt the desire to go back.

LOL... It's kind of difficult to mess up a margarita. A little Tequila, Triple Sec, and lime juice and shake it up. Maybe it was an Argentine Margarita and they threw a little Fernet in there :)

go to California Burrito!!! they are HUGE and not expensive and are the most delicious burritos ever. There is one in Palermo and one in Microcentro on Florida. Google the location for the address but do not pass it up!

CityGirl, don't you live out near Pilar, if my memory serves from comments you've made previously? I mention that because there is (or was!) a little mexican place, reasonably authentic (the cook was Mexican, though the owners Argentinos) across from the Easy in that shopping complex just outside of Pilar. I also mention that because they had corn tortillas that they let me buy, and bags and bags of corn chips imported from Mexico. I can't remember what the name of the place is, but it's on the right side of the road as you're coming off the highway, about 200 meters or so from the highway, in a strip center with a couple of other shops, Easy/Jumbo side of the highway.

Back