Chinese And Mexican Food

Big Al

Registered
Any suggestions on good Chinese and Mexican food around this camp? All these Chinos here, Im surprised they dont have tons of good Chinese food joints around here, man I miss Panda Express...

Any suggestions on good Chinese and Mexican food around this camp? All these Chinos here, Im surprised they dont have tons of good Chinese food joints around here, man I miss Panda Express...

I think there's a PF Chang's. For Mexican, there's a place on Rodriguez Pena between Santa Fe and Arenales. Also a cool place near Gorriti and Thames in Palermo.

I'm dismayed to hear that Panda Express and PF Chang qualify for Chinese food! :) but if that is your bar, then pretty much any restaurant in Barrio Chino will meet your need.

For all the Chinese foodies -- I have yet to experience any WOW Chinese food here in BA (other than home cooked by Chinese friends). There's not even a dim-sum place. Some "OK" experiences were had at China Rose (also in Barrio Chino) and Duo Fu (http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/Duo-Fu-13472), but not really something to brag home about. Heard good things about "Lai Lai" (Barrio Chino) but have not tried it yet.

PF Chang is in Martinez. If you live in Palermo or Recoleta, and really know the difference, you can try Shi Yuan at
Tagle and Las Heras, The service is not good, but they cook some(you have to know what to order) real Chinese food, and many Chinese live
in that area do go there. I am not saying this is a great place. I found the restaurants in barrio Chino to be pretty
dirty and low end. Many Argie friends think Chinese food is fried rice and stir fried of bean sprouts and carrots,
I am not sure if the Mexican restaurant on Rodriguez Pena is still there.

Taco box is good and super cheap! It's on la esquina de peña and.... Some other street, somewhere between calle Austria and Pueyrredon. I don't think it's super authentic but the food is tasty, they have a relatively spicy hot sauce there is Tabasco on every table.

Taco box is good and super cheap! It's on la esquina de peña and.... Some other street, somewhere between calle Austria and Pueyrredon. I don't think it's super authentic but the food is tasty, they have a relatively spicy hot sauce there is Tabasco on every table.

Mexican food in Buenos Aires is generally bad, and Taco Box is the worst of the worst.

We can beat this dead cat again ...

I have yet to find really good Chinese food here - not even in Barrio Chino. There were at least 10 great restaurants in Philly that had superior Chinese food and probably 30 in San Diego (to give my reference points). We won't even get started on Russian, Polish, Italian, German, Japanese, Thai, etc, etc.

The same goes for Mexican food. I've tried almost all of the taco joints in Palermo Soho and Hollywood. I would rate them so-so. If you've just got to get Mexican then they'll pass for the moment. There is a place on Cabildo about 1400 or so called Molé. It passes for edible Mexican but just the molé.

There is A LOT I love about Buenos Aires. One of it's significant drawbacks is the lack of latitude in the palate and food options. I don't even bother to offer my Argentine friends something as benign as black pepper, god forbid!

For Mexican food, I tried Frida Kahlo in Belgrano once, and it was really excellent. It was not tex-mex, but authentic Mexican (except with a salsa that was watered down for Argentine tastes). There's also a sort of Tex-Mex place, new, in Caballito on Pedro Goyena called Mexico DF, and from the menu, I think they serve a mixture of authentic Mexican and Tex-Mex. I haven't got around to trying the place, but it is always full on the weekends. It might be worth a try as it was also recommended in La Nacion. As far as Chinese goes, I've yet to try something amazing. But I have tried some Korean places that I thought were pretty good.

Back