Best option to extend stay as tourist?

steveinbsas said:
If you decide to get the 90 day extension at migraciones you may NOT be able to go to Colonia before the end of those 90 days to get a new tourist visa. If you go to Colonia with three days left the border agent may not override the prorroga from migraciones and three days later your tourist visa would expire.

This is what a couple members have posted in other threads, but they actually may have received an "ultima prorroga" at migraciones and not have understood its meaning or made it clear in their posts.

No, they haven't. They write "ultima porroga" when it's that :) The non-override has been the rule forever. Migraciones has the ultimate authority and a border agent may not overrule the date issued by migraciones.

I usually just recommend everyone avoid migraciones whenever possible - it's so unpleasant there with all the people and noise and dirt. Why spend a day there when one can enjoy a trip someplace nice?

For those interested in what I actually did:

I took callderekm's advice and bought tix on Seacat 10 days in advance. The boat is a Buquebus boat leaving from the Buquebus terminal to Colonia for only $70 each way. Crossing the river is just 1 hour.

I stuck around for a couple of hours in Colonia and headed back. The Argie immigration officer (who stamps your passport already in Colonia) did not flinch and gave me 3 more months of liberty.

I am now on the boat back - there's even free wireless on board :)

Thanks to all.

I have in my passport 3 stamps out over an extended period of 8 months. I read that they are getting strict and won't let you back into the country, is this true?

mhenna11 said:
I read that they are getting strict and won't let you back into the country, is this true?

Where did you read that? (if I may)

There were no such credible stories ever on this forum (that may be a sign)

Am I understanding this correctly? You don't have to go to Colonia or Migraciones. You have the choice to just over stay the Visa and pay 300 pesos at the airport when you are leaving?
Does anyone know also, if you want to go to school in March. Do you have to enroll first then apply for the student Visa and will over staying the tourist Visa affect going to school here? Also, how do you enroll in a public University? (the free ones)

Tera said:
Am I understanding this correctly? You don't have to go to Colonia or Migraciones. You have the choice to just over stay the Visa and pay 300 pesos at the airport when you are leaving?
Does anyone know also, if you want to go to school in March. Do you have to enroll first then apply for the student Visa and will over staying the tourist Visa affect going to school here? Also, how do you enroll in a public University? (the free ones)

Here are a few threads that should answer most of your questions:

advice on student visa

student visa problems

Courses at UBA

Getting a short term student visa sound much easier than getting a full time student visa. You actually may be able to study with your passport.

I think you might need to keep your 90 day visa active to do the latter.

If you apply for the full time student visa at migraciones after your 90 day visa expires you will have to pay the $300 overstay fee as well as the fee $600 (?) pesos for the student visa. You will also need the FBI report and your birth certificate...both need the Apostille as well.

Back