Best Place To Exchange Dollars For Pesos

Seriously though, if you don't have any contacts or friends wanting to sell pesos you will have to brave Calle Florida.

It's not scary; they are not illegal crack dens. They are businesses, just have a little awareness and preparation and you will be absolutely fine. There are many threads on this on the forum. Search for "florida", "Dollars" or "arbolito".

super chill and safe money exchange place in Ramos Mejia called Oro Verde. last time i went i got 6.15.. the downside for you, if you are in the centro, is that Ramos is about 45 mins on the metro bus line towards Liners

I'd far rather go to Florida than travel to Ramos Mejia to change money. Nothing wrong with Ramos Mejia (I know an expat that lives out there), but you never know what may happen in transit. Different story if you're already out there or have other reasons to go there.

I can understand people's reluctance to change money on Florida, as a newcomer. I remember when I first came to BA, there were a lot of places, just walking around, that I assumed were unsafe for one reason or another and soon came to find out that appearances can be deceiving.

When you get PM abilities (not sure how many posts it is to acquire that) send me a PM and I can tell you where to go on Florida that is very safe, a specific guy that I have dealt with for a couple of years now when I have to make (relatively) small cambios. I don't want to give out his location and such in a public forum simply because AFIP patrols Florida (and other places as well) on occasion and I don't want to make it easy for them to cause him problems.

I hear a lot of anecdotal stories about people getting ripped off on Florida. I know a detective in the PFA who has said that Florida is no more unsafe than other places to go looking for cambio. Personally, I have never had any problems of any type going there to change money, in the six years I've lived here, nor do I know anyone who has. And I know a lot of people who have been ripped off all over the city at any moment. Sure it could happen there, but it could happen anywhere as well.

Multicredito in Belgrano (Juramento almost Cabildo). Very professional, never had issues. Last trade was at 6.35 (selling dollars), this week.

I'm in the states now but coming to BsAs soon. These rates you guys are quoting are crazy high! higher than the going rate I see on google. Are people just desperate for dollars there? Is this all "en negro" but somehow still relatively safe?

Yes, there's a big difference in "negro" and "official". Bring up to 10k cash, but in clean, new, unmarked, unstamped, brand new bills and you will get the highest rate. Also always ask for a little higher than offered and you will get it (a few cents), especially if bills are in good condition. The ones like Multicredito are quite safe.

Stopped by Florida the other day. It was all cool.

I can understand why people feel trepidation. If you are not inclned with some street smarts, minimal spanish,might not be the best.
Basically was my 1st day in BA, just hard tp wrap my mind around the official rate when more is readily available.
Changed some money at the airport for 4.84, after checking into my hotel and cleaning up. headed out for some lunch and then florida.
Key is to just take your time, I walked around for awhile just soaking in the surrounding not talking to anyone .
Saw some post here about Galeria Boston, I was looking for that as Boston is my hometown, seemed serendipitous.
Of course, couldn´t find it for the life of me, even after several revolutions around.
Finally asked around a bit, word on the street was 6.3.
Found a dude, brought me to a cueva, changed a small amount and when I saw everything was cool, changed more.
I kinda look at the same as with women. Don´t be in rush, don´t be needy, don´t try to get anything from anybody and things will work out fine.

Back