Best Rated Cell Phone Service Provider.

nlaruccia

Registered
I'm not sure if any other Movistar users are experiencing problems too, but my iphone constantly loses signal and I can't make calls, receive them, nor can I check my email even with 3gs. Another Movistar user in my neighborhood of Caballito complained about the same problem. After several weeks of the signal going in and out no matter what area of the city I was in, I called Movistar twice and complained and the issue wasn't resolved. The techy kept telling me to turn off and turn on my cell after removing and replacing the sim card. Then they claimed Caballito was having a satellite problem, yet this happens all over Buenos Aires. I have the Movistar Full which gives you 300 MG of internet speed, then I checked Personal's webpage and for the same price you can get the Todo Incluido 189 and get 1 MB of internet speed. I heard that you can change service provider and still maintain your cell phone number. Does anyone else use Personal or have problems with Movistar too?

I hated Movistar so much that I made a thread about on here and switched to Personal. I've now been with personal for a year and I'm ready to make another thread and go to claro! :p

I used to have Claro, and had a similar problem. I couldn't get reception in the area of Palermo where I was working, near Scalabrini Ortiz, from Santa Fe to Juncal. I called and called and was just told over and over again that they were working on it. This went on for over 3 months. I finally changed to Personal, this was over a year ago and so far everything is working okay. The only problem I had was they didn't send me the first bill, and gave me due date for the first bill only 3 days after they turned the service on. Naturally I had no idea the bill was sent and after 10 days they shut my service off. After about 10 phone calls they finally figured out (duh) what they did, debited my credit card for the same amount 3 times and turned the service back on. After seeing that they charged me 3 times for the same bill in one day, no one could figure out how to credit me back. So they gave me gift cards to Falabella. Amazing but true!

Also no way in hell you're ever getting anything close to 300mb/s. You mean you get 300 MB a month of data. Personal 3G is actually generally much faster (when it works) than movistar

I wish Movistar would compensate me. Even if it meant giving me a gift card to Flabella. A friend of mine uses Personal and is happy with it. besides the billing error that David had, has anyone else been happy with Personal service?

The fact of the matter is that , like all infrastructure in Argentina , the cell phone industry has not invested in new towers or equipment. The best phones are only as good as the equipment , which currently is mostly 2 G , with some 3 G coverage. None of the big international players are investing here , and will not in the near future. The government requested bids for updating the service , and NO ONE bid.

As for service in certain area's , some carriers who have towers nearby , will have better coverage than others. Go with who is best in the area you are most. I find it hilarious that people spend a ton of money for fancy phone's that operate at less than half their capacity.

My 6 year old prepay personal flip phone works fine. I recharge it at the kiosk. Plus , I do not have to worry about being mugged for my phone.

Do not switch to Personal! I've been having the exact same problems as described by nlaruccia, I used to be with Movistar but switched to personal when I started having problems. Everything was fine for a year or so, and then lately it's just been ridiculous, I basically can't complete any calls, and the only phone calls I ever receive are from my husband because he's figured out that for me to receive the calls he has to call, hang up, call hang up, three times in a row and FINALLY my phone will actually ring on my end. And even then half the time when I pick up I can hear him but he can't hear me or vice versa. So at this point I'm really just using the phone for texting.

I too was thinking to make a switch to Claro. However I have a jail broken iPhone 3GS (which yes, I think is probably part of the problem, but not sure). Will Claro let me sign up for a plan without buying a phone, or would my only option be prepago? Does Claro even do prepago?

Claro has prepago and will let you sign up for a plan without buying a phone

Back