Best way to stay in Argentina?

Davidglen77 said:
This is funny, but I understand where you are coming from. NO policeman here is EVER going to ask for your passport! For that matter the times I have had contact with the police, there comments were "de donde sos" my response: "estados unidos", police: "que hacés viviendo acá?", my response: "trabajo acá, estoy en pareja", police: "pero, viniste a vivir acá de los Estados Unidos?" my response: "sí, vivo acá" police: "estás loco? te gusta vivir acá?" my response: "bueno, tiene sus cosas pero estoy bien" police: "seguí mi consejo, andáte a tu país, Argentina es un quilombo" my response "gracias oficial"

That charming voseo -- still getting used to it after so many years of speaking North American Spanish. But, I like it!

You made me wonder what my answer would be to the question, "¿que hacés viviendo acá?", since I have no intention of working in Argentina, and no estoy en pareja. What's a good answer that doesn't trip suspicion? If you say something that implies visiting/temporary, then they'd wonder why you're still here. If you say that you moved here, it shines a spotlight on your expired visa.

AlexanderB said:
You made me wonder what my answer would be to the question, "¿que hacés viviendo acá?", since I have no intention of working in Argentina, and no estoy en pareja. What's a good answer that doesn't trip suspicion? If you say something that implies visiting/temporary, then they'd wonder why you're still here. If you say that you moved here, it shines a spotlight on your expired visa.

If you get asked just say "me gusta vivir acá", I guarantee you will get a look which is a combination of a half-smile, puzzled, and whatever. Suspicion?? That is really funny, because 5 years ago when I came here, people (not the police, they would be the last ones to care) asked me if I was hiding from the law, if I owed money, or wanted to "disappear" from the USA, as I was told (by Argentines of course) that this is a good country to come to if you are looking to escape. Look I am not going to say I love it here in every which way, the long term expats on this board know some of the crap I've had to put up with, but I am a permanent resident, have my DNI, have a wonderful partner, have learned to live with 10% of the money I used to make and have a lot less belongings, and I can't say that I am unhappy. Argentina teaches you a lot of lessons, sometimes very hard ones, but lots of things here make me laugh, this country has A LOT of good stuff, and if you can avoid the crime and getting to wrapped up in political issues, well you can have a normal life here.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm definitely going to give it an honest try, and try not to be dragged down by the stuff that's routinely discussed here.

They never really use anything but vos down there, do I? In keeping with my cultured instincts and Russian background (where we also have a formal mode of address), I kept talking to everyone unfamiliar in Usted when I was down there, and they gave me the weirdest looks.

I've was at first doing the Uruguay trip every three months, but I haven't done it since November of 2010 and I haven't had any issues.

AlexanderB said:
Yes, but it must be passive income, such as from an annuity, CD, trust, pension, etc. I do not have those things. I just have working income from my self-employment.

I am not sure if you need a passive income (mine is a mixture of passive and from work over internet ), as all i needed as requested by the AR embassy in NZ was this:

[FONT=&quot]A) REQUIREMENTS:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]An application form (filled out and signed)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Evidences that you will be receiving a monthly income of 2.500 argentine pesos (NZ $ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1,200.00 approximately[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) from outside the country while you stay in Argentina. We need a certified letter stating the fulfillment of this requirement. A bank statement would be useful as well.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Interview with the Head of the Consular Section[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The consular fee: to be confirmed at the beginning of each month - please telephone the Consular Section (04-472 8330 Ext 700/707). [/FONT]

I was asked for a letter from my accountant by immingration when i went to get it renewed in BSAS (i ended up getting it renewed in NZ as it only took a week instead of the months here) stating that i had the required income, and that i would have that amount in the next year - nothing was said about passive income. As it turned out i wasnt even asked for that by the embassy in NZ, just provided a letter from my bank and a statement - the letter backed up the statement saying i had been a customer with the bank for 7 years and my income was consistant at $X per month.

This is from before the last change to the rentista visa in July last year, so it may have changed, however i dont think anything else changed except for the US$2000 per month requirement.

Interesting. You're right, the "Rentista" section of http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?nomercosur_temporaria doesn't say anything about the nature of the income, only that one must have it.

Now, of course, I'm my own accountant, and my income is highly volatile (although never below US$2000/mo), so documenting it in an officially acceptable manner could be quite a chore.

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the insights!

The visa rentista is a temporary visa and good for one year. It may be renewed with proof of continuing income and a clean criminal report (from Argentina if you are renewing it in Argentina).

On the third renewal it is possible to become a permanent resident and the only requirement to maintain permanent residency is to set foot on Argentine soil one day in (every) two years.

AlexanderB said:
Now, of course, I'm my own accountant, and my income is highly volatile (although never below US$2000/mo), so documenting it in an officially acceptable manner could be quite a chore.

I am my own accountant too. I just got dads accountant to write me up a letter for immigration. He didnt have a problem with that, as he just got the info from the bank statement and the bank letter. Immigration were happy with the letter, however i never used it because i ended up renewing in NZ.

Back