Best way to stay in Argentina?

steveinbsas said:
On the third renewal it is possible to become a permanent resident and the only requirement to maintain permanent residency is to set foot on Argentine soil one day in (every) two years.

Was your permanent renewal easier than the temp renewal - i will be going for the 3 renewal this year. Do you know if this can be done outside of the country, or does it have to be done through immigration ?

As it happens, there's an Argentine consulate practically nextdoor, here in downtown Atlanta. Think I'll go investigate the visa rentista angle.

AlexanderB said:
As it happens, there's an Argentine consulate practically nextdoor, here in downtown Atlanta. Think I'll go investigate the visa rentista angle.

Do it, you have nothing to lose, and for me it was the only real option to stay there legally for more than the 3 months..

Practically speaking, is applying for this visa rentista externally the best way to go?

It seems that if I applied externally (i.e. at the local consulate here in the US), I would be unable to satisfy certain requirements, such as a criminal background check with Argentinian police. On the other hand, if I applied internally, I would have to deal with the pain of requisitioning (and perhaps apostille-ing) documents from the US remotely, deal with the Migraciones office in its physical glory, etc. Would I at least be able to change my status without exiting the country?

You asked about the best way to stay: overstay and after 12 months you can apply for citizenship.

To apply for a visa, if it is not grantes, is the best way to get enacted a deportation order.
Even the las accepts 3 options for rentista, they accepts only a housing contract income.

Regards

Thank you, Doctor. Can you clarify? Do you believe that 1) I am not eligible for a visa rentista based on the type of income I have, and 2) that it would invite more problems than it solves?

AlexanderB said:
Thank you, Doctor. Can you clarify? Do you believe that 1) I am not eligible for a visa rentista based on the type of income I have, and 2) that it would invite more problems than it solves?

I would follow Bajo Cero's advice. While migraciones in the past few years has become totally computerized and looks like a real government office, it's still a headache and costly to upstart the residency process. I did this for 3 years and just this last year I was able to renew for permanent residency. What a relief that was. If I knew I could apply for citizenship when I first came here 5 years ago, I would have gone that route, I never would have dealt with the expense and cost of getting all of that documentation together all of those times. To get residency in any of the categories now costs just in migraciones costs alone $600 pesos. That's not counting your criminial backround check from Argentina $80 pesos, from the USA $18U$D plus the apostille $10U$D, translation of all of the documents plus the certifications from the colegio de traductores about $1000 pesos, and that is not even counting the endless fotocopias, firmas ante escribano, waiting in all of those lines, photos, etc. etc, You are looking easily at about $1000 U$D for everything and maybe a bit more just to get your foot in the door. Just stay here once you are on Argentine soil! The law is in your favor, use that to your advantage and if you like being here after a year start the citizenship process, you will never have to set foot in migraciones.

Thanks, David.

I'm curious, however, about this mysterious permanent residency that everyone keeps mentioning. It seems to be somehow decoupled from the pathways for temporary residency visas. Does one become eligible for unqualified (i.e. not falling into the usual migraciones categories of student, rentista, inversionista, guest worker, etc.) residency after having been in Argentina a certain amount of time? How does that work?

P.S. Are those of you pursuing citizenship at all concerned that at some point Argentina may institute compulsory military service for the younger of you, and that as Argentine citizens on Argentine soil, you would be forced to comply?

Back