Best way to travel to Uruguay - Juan Ignacio

Fiscal

Registered
Should I rent a car in CABA and get on the busquebus? Fly or take the boat to Montevideo and rent car there?

Should I rent a car in CABA and get on the busquebus? Fly or take the boat to Montevideo and rent car there?
Ferrying the car to Montevideo and back, is expensive, if car rental here is cheaper? then requires license/permit to drive car abroad. just saying.

If you take the ferry with a car, you will have AFIP checking your car documents, VTV, RTO, and so on, as well as your driving license (so don't be more than 6 months in-country if you only have a foreign DL) and your "cedula verde" for the car.

I expect to do the run to Montevideo next weekend so I can report back. Fortunately all my documentation is now in order, I think.

Ah ok. Looking at prices it seems half the price to rent a car in Montevideo vs CABA.

we always rent a car in Montevideo, they will pick you up with the car at the Buquebus. We used Snappy in January, smaller car rental company, they were great, they brought the car to the ferry, we spent time at the playa, and then we came back to Montevideo and they picked up the car at our hotel. http://snappy.com.uy/

With the trip to the airport, hassle checking and getting to your seats, risk of delays, and then the whole process when you get to Montevideo, the ferry is actually the better call.

With the trip to the airport, hassle checking and getting to your seats, risk of delays, and then the whole process when you get to Montevideo, the ferry is actually the better call.
Hmm good point.

So take busquebus to Montevideo and then either rent a car using the service recommended above or take an uber to the avis?

Avis, and all the other rentacar agencies in Montevideo will pick you up at the Buquebus. Some will take you to their retail location, others will bring the car and just run your credit card thru a portable scanner for the deposit, and have you sign the documents right there in the parking lot of the port. No need to take an uber, its part of their service.

Back