Big meets bigger Argentina

perry

Registered
For all the long term expats we see that obesity has become an epidemic in Buenos Aires and Argentina the fattest country of South America this excellent documentary confirms this . The diets of many people in the Capital Federal are very poor with soft drinks supplying the only fluids and milenesa, and pizza , facturas being the main staple . The scene in the film of the fried pasta was classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbpadtaA518
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Jg7jG3E9U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtCcQ7gx8Ak&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RY09zM_5F4&feature=related

When you leave the expat protection zone -- Barrio Norte, Palermo, Recoleta, Zona Norte - - you see a LOT of fat people. This is the real Argentina of uneducated people who have no knowledge of nutrition and little interest. They eat whatever low quality junk is available including liters and liters of Coca-Cola. Coke is a kind of sacramental drink for Argentines. It is served at every social function. Sadly obesity (more men than women) is becoming common in the upscale pats of BA. I've seen many giant stomachs in restaurants. One man at Pieggari could not pull his chair up as his stomach took up so much space. The days of ridiculing Americans for their girth should be coming to an end. Argentines have lost their status as the best educated and most middle class country of Latin America. Now they are losing their looks as well.

I watched all four videos with great interest. Thanks, Perry.

A few observations:

1) Villa 31 is described as Argentina’s “most notorious” slum. I’ve always heard that it is the best of the shantytowns. From The Retiro bus station it does not look all that bad. Houses are constructed of relatively sturdy materials. The kitchen in the featured home was better than many I’ve seen in middle class residences. They do not pay for electricity.
2) The woman was asked if she would buy vegetables rather than pasta and junk food if vegetables were cheap. She said “yes” in an unconvincing way. What does ten liters of Coca-Cola cost? Isn’t that what she told the doctor she drank on a daily basis? Seems to me that you can buy quite a few salad ingredients for that price. The issue is education and social values. If you prefer the taste of chips and other junk food, you are not going to switch to carrots without some incentive. Obesity is not FORCED on people, as the British woman stated. The family she stayed with were far from being seriously poor. Truck drivers get good pay. The family simply do not care to learn about nutrition and/or lack the discipline to do anything about their diets. It seems that nobody – other than the BBC - is helping them to learn
3) What is government doing to change eating habits? The Kirchners have stayed in power in large part because they have given generous subsidies to the poor. Apparently there are no restrictions on what can be bought and there are inadequate attempts to educate people regarding nutrition. The lunch served to the children at the soup kitchen did not look nutritious and, as pointed out, the portions were absurdly large. A lot was being thrown away.
4) The video makes growing class divisions very clear. A presumably affluent woman interviewed at the disco - or whatever it was - denied that there is obesity in Argentina. You can be sure that she never ventures outside of the upscale areas of the city. Her vacations are probably in Punta del Este or Miami. There is a huge disconnect between the upper middle class / upper class and the rest of society.
5) One of the videos interviewed a doctor in a public hospital. The public hospital system is something commendable about Argentina. Unfortunately many of the hospitals are inadequate but something is better than nothing. They do the best with the resources that they have.
6) Sad that obesity is now associated with Argentina – not just beautiful women in elegant clothes, sunny skies, tango and polo.

When I eat a typical Argentinian diet of bread, empanadas, pasta etc etc my weight balloons . I have gained a lot of weight myself in Argentina and now avoid all processed foods. Looking around me in the Capital Federal obesity has reached epidemic levels and its true the men are the worst culprits . When coke is guzzled like there is no tomorrow and the only vegetable eaten is a fried potato obesity will knock on your door .

Poor people do have choices to eat well and it is pure laziness that the only option is junk food . Rice and beans are very cheap as are many vegetables that are filling and nutrituos. Healthy eating must be promoted more as it a national health issue and one that affects all families .

I had to turn it off after the 45th extreme closeup of the cow head. Will this "reality tv" scourge ever end?

you all fell in position of talking about the obesity here??... when USA its full of fat people and the calculations says that they'll represent a huge percent of the population!... come on... look at your self first and your life style. then talk about the anothers... pls dont be cinic

Yes, we know that there are a lot of fat Americans. Who is denying that? Now there are a LOT of fat Argentines - according to the BBC, Argentina is the world's fourth fattest country. Welcome to the club!

Argentina is as fat as the USA now please do not deny this . The local diet of genetically modified food from monsato, served with swillens of gallons of coke has had a huge effect of the health and bodies of Argentinians.

I remember in 1983 when I first visited Beautiful Buenos Aires the people were in the main good looking with slim physiques and healthy faces . The restaurants were full but the food was unprocessed in the main with free range meat , real vegetables with flavour and small servings of carbohydrates.

Since 2005 there has been a decline in the health of Portenos ( me included ) and it is a national health issue that must be addressed . People are eating themselves to death with processed foods and yes the USA has some blame for this with its profileration of fast food places that promote very high calorie meals and little nutrition.

Back