BigMac Index: Argentina more expensive than US

"pericles" said:
Some products are definetly dearer in Argenina and food is becoming expensive . I predict in three years that Buenos Aires will become a expensive city in the top 50 in the world.
It's possibly becoming a two-tier city, with the middle class squeezed out of existence. Maybe like Sao Paolo and Rio(?). The goods and services that European and North Americans are accustomed to are -- or will become -- the sole preserve of the upper class, who will be able to afford the ever-dearer prices. Most everyone else will subsist on scraps. The end destination of neoliberalism. It's probably the rich who have been the winners in the present inflationary regime, and they are possibly the driving force behind spiralling prices for goods that Westerners take for granted. All conjecture on my part, and could be wrong.

The burgers may well be awful here, but why would anyone bother with a burger when you have the best and possibly the cheapest beef in the world?

"tangobob" said:
The burgers may well be awful here, but why would anyone bother with a burger when you have the best and possibly the cheapest beef in the world?
Exactly!

I agree the burgers are really bad here when you order in a parilla for example, just cheap patties with no correlation to the high quality of Argentinean beef - it is a big disappointment. I think it's more a case though that no one has thought about making good qaulity burger patties here, as they will just have the attitude that a burger is a burger end of story. There's a place i've been to a few times in London called Gourmet Burger Kitchen which is the best i've ever tasted. I reckon that would work well here if anyone wants to start up a business right now in Argentina, although maybe not the best time now we maybe heading into another economic crisis with Christina.

"Fettucini" said:
I agree the burgers are really bad here when you order in a parilla for example, just cheap patties with no correlation to the high quality of Argentinean beef - it is a big disappointment. I think it's more a case though that no one has thought about making good qaulity burger patties here, as they will just have the attitude that a burger is a burger end of story.
The whole idea of a burger is to disguise the nature of the meat that goes into it. People would retch if they know what went into a Big Mac. Why bother making burgers in a country where the meat is first-rate and affordable?

BBW, i think youre wrong. hamburgers here suck. they use bad cuts of meat. i grew up on delicious burgers back home, the usa is famous for it.
This hamburger price index is intriguing and yet another indicator that this frayed around the edges country, this city of screaming loud busses is becoming expensive. Its not moscow, but it not the bargain it once was. Or to sum up, the busses are just as awful as before, the govt. just as corrupt, yet the prices are now much higher.

JG you have scared me with what you have said . I think I made the wrong decision to move here . Will me and my son be able to live here on 1500 dollars a month? I live in Belgrano and it all seems dear here even though its a nice area and the people are friendly.

I think the question is.
Why would you want to live in Argentina with 1500 dollar a month ?

I have been watching the great hamburger debate here. I agree with those that say the local burgers leave a lot to be desired. It's very odd as you can go to any McDonald's or Burger King which are often packed with people and see how popular burgers are. Why the locals can't seem to come up with a good burger seems to me to be the result of a lack of vitality in some aspects of the culture here. Making a good burger is not exactly something that requires extensive culinary training. My observation would be that coming up with one would require someone to take intiative and a vision or idea that something could be done better. These qualities generally seem to be in short supply here. Not to say that you can't get good food here but there is a surprising lack of variety for a city this size. The average Argentine doesn't seem to have much interest in trying new foods or things that are different. These traits may help explain the seemingly intractable political problems Argentina has gone through over the last 50 years or so (i.e. even all the failures they keep electing the same types of people with the same worn-out ideas). I have heard the locals state on more than one occasion (when questioning poor service in some government office or business) that its always been like this and nothing can be changed.
I usually have fairly low expectations in dealings with local businesses and eateries. Once in a while I get surprised by someone who provides a really good service or product, so it is possible that they can do it.I would think opening a good hamburger restaurant would be a definite winner that some expat could consider.

I agree with you on this one Stan . The food choices leave a lot to be desired in Buenos Aires and there seems to be little vision in presenting something different.
I grew up in Sydney Australia and I cannot describe the incredible hamburgers that I ate there with all combinations ie. pinneapple, bacon, egg , cheese and topped with onions and beetroot . I am salivating now just thinking of the taste.
If anyone who has drive and ambition and opens a good home made hamburger jount or a decent Thai take away they should make a fortune.

Back