Bilingual Family Lawyer Needed

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
My American friend married himself a nice Argentine girl. However, it looks like the marriage might be going south and I'm afraid she's going to take him for a ride. His income is substantially bigger than hers. Need a good family lawyer. He doesn't speak very much Spanish so we are looking for someone who can explain the law to him in English. No kids involved (thank God!)

Many thanks!

GS

I could refer my mum ( lawyer, divorce and family stuff) but she is not downtown thou she kicks ass ( she is going to kill me for advertirse her this way). Anyhow, she is based south buenos aires but could give at least an opinión.

I am not a lawyer at all but have a friend in the exact same situation. It turns out that he was told that any property or items that he owned prior to the marriage continue to be his solely (as long as her name was not added to the deeds) and any property or items that were acquired during the course of the marriage will be split 50/50. According to the divorce lawyer it's fairly cut and dry.

and if he has no property, no assets, no income based in Argentina, he has nothing to worry about.

He has property here but it was his before they got married. She was not put on the deed (yea, he owe's me a beer for that advice!) His concern is if they do split will he be required to pay her alimony. His income here in Argentina is about 3X her's.

He has property here but it was his before they got married. She was not put on the deed (yea, he owe's me a beer for that advice!) His concern is if they do split will he be required to pay her alimony. His income here in Argentina is about 3X her's.

If he has to pay her alimony, feminism will be taking another one in the chin.

their are no alimony laws in Argentina. Especially if each of the spouses have their limbs/mind intact and can work to earn thier own living.

only child support laws are there. or dividing post marriage assets 50/50 after marriage.

I was married once before in the US. It was a "starter marriage." The kind where the couple were good friends and everyone says that they should get married. Looked like such a good idea. Lasted 3 years. We were horrible marriage partners. I learned the things I needed to change about myself to make a marriage work, and learned the right questions to ask any future Mrs. Fortunately, we agreed not to give any lawyers a windfall. We sat at the kitchen table like civilized people, divided up the assets 50/50, what each person had before the marriage they took with them, went out for a nice dinner and talked about the good times, and said good bye and good luck. The whole thing cost us $1,200. We had no kids.

If there are no alimony laws in Argentina my friend is going to be very happy.

I'll respectfully disagree but there can be alimony here, just check in the Civil code:
Art. 207. El cónyuge que hubiera dado causa a la separación personal en los casos del artículo 202, deberá contribuir a que el otro, si no dio también causa a la separación, mantenga el nivel económico del que gozaron durante su convivencia, teniendo en cuenta los recursos de ambos.

Para la fijación de alimentos se tendrá en cuenta:

1° La edad y estado de salud de los cónyuges;

2° La dedicación al cuidado y educación de los hijos del progenitor a quien se otorgue la guardia de ellos;

3° La capacitación laboral y probabilidad de acceso a un empleo del alimentado;

4° La eventual pérdida de un derecho de pensión;

5° El patrimonio y las necesidades de cada uno de los cónyuges después de disuelta la sociedad conyugal.

En la sentencia el juez fijará las bases para actualizar el monto alimentario.

Sounds like your friend should ask a lawyer asap and find a good reason for the separation. Watch out with "abandono de hogar" & such, if she insults him tell him not to reply, etc.

If he sells one of his "bienes personales" to buy something else, make sure he keeps all the proof about the origin of the funds & such.

Back