Bilingual schools

Now you mention it elqueso the kinder section of Newland isnt bilingual only primary. Really depends on the op child birthday if he/ she will be in kinder or preescolar. Thx for bringing this to mind!

Thanks for this advice. I realize now that bilingual isn't necessary for us.
Not a bad price.

As a comparison for private school prices between bilingual and "regular", a full-day (morning and afternoon session) private catholic school (where my sister-in-law goes) for kinders is around 1200 pesos a month. It's not a bilingual school, although they teach English as a second language (don't know if they start in kinder or not). This is downtown, so it's a bit more expensive than the same school would be in Belgrano or Caballito for example. So a big difference between bilingual and regular schools in pricing.

Caballito is indeed close enough to Belgrano and Palermo (other side of the street, depending on where you live) that going to a school in Caballito should be as easy as any other school. People often send their kids halfway across town for school. One of my sister-in-law's classmates lives in Vicente Lopez (outside the city limits, just) and her mother takes her and picks her up every day. Caballito would be a short run.

Thanks for this advice--now I realize a bilingual program is not necessary for us. Teachers who speak english are more of a necessity as my son does not speak Spanish (however he does understand some).

We arrived in BsAS last January with very little information about finding schools in the city for our three children (ages 8,10,13). After six weeks of searching and interviews, we decided on St. Martin In The Fields in Belgrano. It's a small school divided into three "campuses": kinder, primaria, secondaria, all within a few blocks of each other. St. Martin is bilingual with Spanish in the morning and english in the afternoon. Our kids arrived speaking little to no spanish. After a year in school (four weeks to go to summer break!) all are basically fluent, well-adjusted with wonderful friends, and excelling in their studies. Bilingual wasn't necessarily important to us, but we thought it might make the transition to a new culture easier for our kids and we found, mostly, that the bilingual schools were more exigente (rigorous) than some of the others. Also, as the year progressed, our children were able to assist their peers in the afternoon subjects which created broader options for them to integrate into their social groups.

At the younger ages, it's tougher to assimilate. Our older two had little problem, but our 2nd grader had some trouble because even in bilingual schools, 2nd graders don't speak too much of the second language yet. The flip side is that she is probably the most conversant in castellano now because she didn't have another option.

I am familiar with most if not all of the schools mentioned in this thread, and there are many good schools in the bunch. For our family, St. Martin In The Fields has been a perfect school with warm, friendly families, engaged teachers and administrators, a strong feeling of community and maybe a little bit less of some of the social BS that can occur here (and everywhere, I suppose). Our kids have made friends they will keep for life, as have we. I can't say enough good about the place.

Tuition in the primaria runs about $3,000AR per month, with discounts for additional kids. Class sizes average 13-15. Anyone seeking further commentary or information can send me a direct message. Good luck!

Hi, we came to BA August 2011, while we had the same issue since our kids (2, 6, 8) were in french school in France. but now they are speaking fluent castellano even when playing at home!
we choosed "Lycee Francais Jean MERMOZ" in belgrano. each student is for 3.000 with reduction for brothers.

Back