Blackberry Tax?????

texxaslonghorn

Registered
I'm bringing 2 Blackberrys for one of my brothers-in-law when I fly in on Friday (if my flight isn't cancelled).

My wife swears up and down that the tax on bringing new "stuff" like that into the country only applies to Argentines. She said that because I'll be arriving with a U.S. passport, I won't be subject to the tax.

Anyone have any idea whether she is right?

Thanks in advance.

texxaslonghorn said:
I'm bringing 2 Blackberrys for one of my brothers-in-law when I fly in on Friday (if my flight isn't cancelled).

My wife swears up and down that the tax on bringing new "stuff" like that into the country only applies to Argentines. She said that because I'll be arriving with a U.S. passport, I won't be subject to the tax.

Anyone have any idea whether she is right?

Thanks in advance.

She is incorrect, but you can bring a phone for your personal use and (unless the amount has changed recently) up to $300 USD in new items duty free. Both Argentines and foreigners often "get away" with bringing much more than $300USD worth of new "stuff' by removing tags and discarding boxes, but there's always a chance "taxes" will be charged.

Thanks for the reply, and from a "veteran" to the site. I presume that you really know the deal.

I remember the frist time I flew to Argentina. The customs guy asked about my laptop and I just stood there acting like I didn't understand a word.

If I take the Blackberrys out of the boxes and say something simple and stupid like "son mios," I shoud be fine, right?

Yes, take the phones out of the box and if they ask, they are yours.

Last month i brought 2 high end smartphones fron europe and i had no problems.

Same with laptops and other objects for "personal use", thats why is important to take them out of the box.

You might also want to consider just putting the Blackberries in your coat or pants pocket as you go through customs as I have never seen someone physically searched when they go through customs. But if you want to be legal, then you would declare both and pay 50% of anything over $300.00 unless this has changed recently.

Yeah I would put them on my person and then say one is for personal and one is for business. A while back I brought in a new high end projector (along with a lot of other electronics) and taped a sign on it saying 'Property of Acme Editing'. Probably overkill, but they didn't glance twice.

Here's a third vote for just putting them on your person- they never make you put jackets or even ladies purses through the scanner. Last time I came in I had a BUNCH of goodies in my (large) purse that didn't get scanned.

Although, I also had a TV and the proper documentation for it (expecting to pay) and the guy just looked at it and waved me through. It all depends on how busy it is, who the agent is, etc.

But as for what your wife said- it's incorrect. You have up to $300 tax-free and then you have to pay, and it states this on the customs form they give you on the plane. Just take the blackberries out of the boxes and put them in your pocket, you'll be fine.

I'd also recommend against trying to say anything in Castellano--even if (or maybe especially if) you are fluent. It will make them less likely to believe you're a tourist.

and programme a few numbers into them so that they look like they actually have had some use.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Expat Life 3
D Expat Life 4
Y Expat Life 2
G Expat Life 6
M Expat Life 2
Back