Blackouts Or Other Inconveniences In Ba?

polostar88

Registered
I'm about to come to BA again and I wanted to know if to expect blackouts or other similar inconveniences (internet interruptions, etc.), and how bad it gets. I'm planning to live in Palermo or Barrio Norte/Recoleta. Please advise.

Some of us were experiencing several blackouts during the summer but that seems to have died down since the temperature started dropping.
Internet interruptions seem to be total luck of the draw. I know people that have loads of problems with their connections and others that have no problems at all. We've been having a truck load of problems with our two connections since December and the problems have all been on the providers end (area node). At first we would get four or five cuts per day (lasting anything from half an hour to several hours). Occasionally, we'd be out of internet for up to 12 hours (usually on the weekends). In February, it suddenly got better (we only had 4 or 5 cuts in the entire month). Now, we're getting several cuts per day again but they usually last just a few seconds. I read that the infrastructure here is completely overloaded and providers don't want to invest in improvements because of govt crackdowns on media ownership...something like that. We live on the Colegiales/Chacarita border, right by Palermo soho...The area is growing pretty rapidly so that might have something to do with it.

We're number 107!!! [In my best Ralph Wiggum voice].

Ashley described it perfectly. Wherever you go, ask around the area to see which internet service is most reliable. In case there are problems with electricity, a laptop is recommended over a desktop, as battery backup power supplies are fairly expensive here.

Predict blackouts, internet cut offs, traffic jams, piquetes, gas shortages, ATM's without funds,hail storms, etc. :D you must be kidding . It's absolutely unpredictable. You must roll with the punches...!! :eek:

I live in Palermo, we haven't had any power outages in my area (knocking on wood!) although they do happen in Buenos Aires. Our internet (Fibertel) has been working great in recent weeks although a couple of months ago we had some recurring problems (not ours but Fibertel's). Everybody in BA has internet issues, some have it worse than others. Arnet (the other provider) is a nightmare according to everybody I know who was or had it, to be avoided at all cost.

Yep depends on where you are. I am down east end of Palermo and in last 12 months only had 2 power outages for a few hours each time and probably only 3/4 internet/cable outages.

Predict blackouts, internet cut offs, traffic jams, piquetes, gas shortages, ATM's without funds,hail storms, etc. :D you must be kidding . It's absolutely unpredictable. You must roll with the punches...!! :eek:
I agree with Rich One, blackouts and internet cutouts are totally unpredictable, even in the "bestis" areas. I live in Palermo Botanico near Ugarteche y Cabello, an area considered quite cheto/wealthy, and I've seen 1-2 blackouts per month since Nov.2012, typically lasting 4-8 hours. Internet problems about same. Roll with the punches and if you have critical needs then line-up independent contingency options. This is Argentina, es lo que hay and lamentablemente it will get worse before it gets better.
Suerte,
Jim

I agree with Rich One, blackouts and internet cutouts are totally unpredictable, even in the "bestis" areas. I live in Palermo Botanico near Ugarteche y Cabello, an area considered quite cheto/wealthy, and I've seen 1-2 blackouts per month since Nov.2012, typically lasting 4-8 hours. Internet problems about same. Roll with the punches and if you have critical needs then line-up independent contingency options. This is Argentina, es lo que hay and lamentablemente it will get worse before it gets better.
Suerte,
Jim

Thanks for info, this is what I was looking for; 1-2 blackouts per month lasting 4-8 hours in that area (in which I've lived before as well) is unacceptable...meaning, I'd put up with it if I had to, but why should I; Buenos Aires is no longer a novelty for me, I'd be coming for the comfort and cheap living. But there are other places in the world...

Thanks for info, this is what I was looking for; 1-2 blackouts per month lasting 4-8 hours in that area (in which I've lived before as well) is unacceptable...meaning, I'd put up with it if I had to, but why should I; Buenos Aires is no longer a novelty for me, I'd be coming for the comfort and cheap living. But there are other places in the world...
Sad to hear my data was the gota that overflowed your glass. Best of luck wherever you end up, and think Buenos Aires in 2020, after the imminent mini-crisis, election, and first glimmer of recovery. (In that order). Sorry for the negative outlook, I'm leaving and don't want to spread my disallusionment further.
- Jim

Las Canitas had blackouts all summer too, for the first time in the 5 years that I lived there, but the villas didn't have any apparently. It's all about keeping the right voters happy. Now that things are cooling off there won't be blackouts again until end of year.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Expat Life 31
R Expat Life 8
Back