Blocked by the AFIP

Ashley

Registered
Yesterday, I went to change some pesos (not a very large amount) into foreign currency at my local bank and was informed that the AFIP have blocked me from doing this kind of transaction (this was the first time I'd ever changed money using my DNI).
I also remember back in January, trying to withdraw money from my Argentine bank account while abroad, getting refused and being told a similar story by the telephone banking people. Obviously, when I went to AFIP, the guy at reception wasn't particularly helpful so I'm going to have to go back armed with all my information this week and see if I can get an appointment with someone.
I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else. I'm registered with the AFIP and pay all my taxes on time so I can't imagine I'm doing anything wrong...Is this just something they do to foreigners to stop them taking their money out of the country?? It was pretty awful after waiting in line for 1.5 hours only to be made to feel like some kind of international criminal!!

I doubt that the AFIP actually blocked you from purchasing dollars, was probably just a communication problem.

I would imagine what must have happened is that as this was your first time changing with your DNI, that you also need to present your CUIT (Codigo Unico de Identificación del Trabajador) as required by AFIP regulations. If you are recently a resident, the CUIL may not be connected to your DNI in the AFIP regulatory system, so you won´t be able to change money until that is fixed/updated.

Why do you exchange money at the bank? Just use a financeria.
Better rates, no questions asked. I have USD and buy pesos and I get $4.3 pesos per USD.

I've never heard of a financeria. Do you know where I can find one?

Ashley said:
I've never heard of a financeria. Do you know where I can find one?

A financiera ( not financeria ) also known as " cuevas " ( caves ) are places where you buy and sell foreign currency in the black market ( undeclared ) among other operations. If you do not know what you are doing or the place´s reputation you can easily get scammed, so watch out. People use those that are referred to them by relatives or friends. If you need to buy currency, you will pay more money than at a bank.

Also, if you originally got a CUIL with your passport and precaria and you now have your DNI, you need to go back to ANSES and get a new CUIL. The CUIL you get with your passport will be "mismatched" to your DNI.

The same happened to me ----- my CDI had to be changed to be linked to my DNI. It was a simple transaction at AFIP.

However, the more interesting thing is what I have been witnessing at the casas de cambio: More than half of people being turned away when trying to buy dollars --- I'm talking about Argentines! No DNI WITH CUIT or CUIL --- no dollars for you! They have really really clamped down which tells me the government is trying to hold on to every dollar they can. Mark my word a major devaluation is coming shortly after the "election".

You need to go to the AFIP website (log in), section Registro tributario and review your history to see if a problem exists.
This from my wife who is a public accountant.
Should be your first port of call and if no problems found, print out the history and take to the local AFIP office.

AlfajorEfi said:
Why do you exchange money at the bank? Just use a financeria.
Better rates, no questions asked. I have USD and buy pesos and I get $4.3 pesos per USD.

The rates are generally only better in that direction (sell USD/EUR). The other direction (sell pesos) you usually pay a heavy premium (ARS4.40 or more to USD1.00).

Usually the best place to sell pesos is whichever casa de cambio or bank has the best rate on dolarhoy.net on the day you want to change it. If you're selling dollars or euros or transferring money into the country, then using a financeria is definitely worth it!

Back