Blueberries Arandanos

You and I have lived in BA long enough to remember when blueberries were not grown in Argentina.

it is kind of amazing that Chile only started growing blueberries commercially in the late 80s, and that Argentina only followed in the early 90s.
I have found info online that indicates Argentina began commercially exporting by 1992, but I dont know if they were commonly available for purchase that early.
Where I live, in the NW, I have neighbors with blueberry bushes more than 50 years old, still commercially producing berries today.
A blueberry bush can live, and give fruit, for a long long time.
My, personal bushes are 20 years old now.

I remember blueberries or "moras" being available for purchase here as far back as 1979 when I came to live,I also have a faint recollection of them in Bariloche and Rio Negro in 1967 when I first visited that area.Whether they were grown commercially or not I have no idea.I also remember "frambuesas" or rapberries in Bariloche then.

What a coincidence, I just had my regular delivery of frozen berries for my smoothies today:

https://es-la.facebook.com/arandanos.argentinos/

Great quality, good prices, fantastic service - as I order several kilos at a time, delivery is a huge plus (even though there is a small fee).

I highly recommend checking them out!

I dont think there is any doubt that SOMEBODY was growing blueberries in Argentina 100 years ago- all those immigrants to Patagonia from all over the world.
But it wasnt really a commercial crop until pretty recently.

I remember blueberries or "moras" being available for purchase here as far back as 1979 when I came to live,

Never seen Moras for sale in the shops. We have white and dark Moras bushes in the garden and despite them fruiting freely we don't use the fruit much. They don't seem to be very popular even amongst the locals. I wonder if it's because they spoil quickly?

As for the Arnadano..I'm not a great lover of them to be honest. Have to say the quality of strawberries here has much improved over the years.

I dont think there is any doubt that SOMEBODY was growing blueberries in Argentina 100 years ago- all those immigrants to Patagonia from all over the world.
But it wasnt really a commercial crop until pretty recently.

I doubt it.

While not impossible, it seems quite unlikely. 100 years ago, before comercial air travel, one of the few immigrants to Patagonia from the US or Canada (Butch Cassidy?) would have had to go through a lot of trouble to import -involving at least a month on a boat and a complex overland journey- what amounts to a finicky shrub that requires cross pollination to bear its tiny yet tasty fruit.

I remember blueberries or "moras" being available for purchase here as far back as 1979 when I came to live,I also have a faint recollection of them in Bariloche and Rio Negro in 1967 when I first visited that area.Whether they were grown commercially or not I have no idea.I also remember "frambuesas" or rapberries in Bariloche then.

Blueberries or Arandanos, Moras are Blackberries,,,!! different than raspberries , cranberries, lingonberries, or strawberries.. yap.

Blueberries or Arandanos, Moras are Blackberries,,,!! different than raspberries , cranberries, lingonberries, or strawberries.. yap.

Yes the Moras are definitely not Blueberries. I suspect the Moras might be a native species as I've seen them growing wild - could be wrong though.

Coto sometimes has them fresh. It's rare though.

Mercado libre has people selling them along with raspberries, black currents and red currents.

Back