Boise, Idaho anyone?

Although rural Idaho is mostly conservative and white, Boise has significant Indian, Chinese, and Sub-saharan African populations.

Although rural Idaho is mostly conservative and white, Boise has significant Indian, Chinese, and Sub-saharan African populations.
I know it is not exactly cosmopolite, I have yet to go visit first. We are looking forma safe suburban area or medium sized city, with all 4 seasons, safe and with career opportunities. I have been wanting to leave the city for a long time, and as sad as it sounds, I don't feel safe in the outskirts and don't want to do the gated neighborhood life. I also started to consider the effects that global warming will have in coastal areas, and as I mentioned earlier, water contamination seems to be a problem in many places. My DH moved here 20 years ago because I had to take care of my family, sadly they are now all gone, so I guess it is only fair to spend some time in the US where he still has family and friends. It is not out of the menu keeping property here or returning for retirement. We don't take advantage of what this city ( or any other ) have to offer ( restaurants, theaters, nightlife, public transportation, etc ) because we mainly like to go camping, outdoors, etc.

I have not experienced life in a republican or democrat state, as long as it is not a dictatorship, there is no corruption, and people are respectful I don't mind either one. In any case, I had it with politics here, and I doubt I will pay much attention to it in the US either.

I know it is not exactly cosmopolite, I have yet to go visit first. We are looking forma safe suburban area or medium sized city, with all 4 seasons, safe and with career opportunities. I have been wanting to leave the city for a long time, and as sad as it sounds, I don't feel safe in the outskirts and don't want to do the gated neighborhood life. I also started to consider the effects that global warming will have in coastal areas, and as I mentioned earlier, water contamination seems to be a problem in many places. My DH moved here 20 years ago because I had to take care of my family, sadly they are now all gone, so I guess it is only fair to spend some time in the US where he still has family and friends. It is not out of the menu keeping property here or returning for retirement. We don't take advantage of what this city ( or any other ) have to offer ( restaurants, theaters, nightlife, public transportation, etc ) because we mainly like to go camping, outdoors, etc.

For outdoors life, that region of the country is just awesome. Idaho, WA,OR,MT,UT, WY -all absolutely beautiful

In a few weeks, I'm returning the the US after 8 years of nomadic travels. Heading to the Spokane region first, but planning to visit Boise/Colorado Springs before deciding where to settle down.

I'm not sure why you and a few others think communication in cases like these should be via direct message only. That deprives the rest of us of information. Sure there are times when people give uniformed, baseless opinions, talking about things they have no real knowledge of, or will correct someone who actually does know about something, but those kinds of estupideces are usually corrected by other members.
Because we have a recent example of a new poster with a sensitive nose and from a small town finding herself subject to a pack mentality from the very start and seemingly being bullied off the site.

I met some people from Idaho 30 years ago, before the first (and often only) thing people could think to tell you about a place was whether it was red or blue. They told me they were proud potato farmers. I learned something. So far, through six substantive replies here, I havent learned anything particularly new about Boise except that Idaho is red.

As was predicable and predicted in this case, the majority of posts do not add any value and are political in nature, which (equally predictably) turns out to be if little interest to the OP.

If the knee jerk politicizing of every conversation could stop, it would be easier to encourage people to join the site and contribute.

Any forum member is from Boise, Idaho? How could you compare it to Buenos Aires? We are considering relocating maybe next year ( married couple in late 40s with nursing and computer science degrees and a 12 year old ). Any tips / advice?
Deciding whether or not to move to Boise is a personal decision based on your priorities and needs. While Boise offers many benefits, there are also some downsides you should consider before making the leap. Here are some specific reasons why Boise might not be the perfect fit for everyone:

**Cost of living and housing:**

* **Housing market:** Rapid growth has inflated housing prices, making it expensive and competitive to buy or rent a home, especially compared to the national average.
* **Overall cost of living:** While not as high as major cities, the cost of living in Boise is steadily rising, including expenses like groceries, utilities, and transportation.

**Infrastructure and amenities:**

* **Limited public transportation:** The city's bus system is improving but may not be sufficient for everyone's needs, especially compared to larger cities.
* **Traffic congestion:** As the city grows, traffic congestion has become a problem, particularly during peak hours.
* **Limited cultural amenities:** Compared to big cities, Boise may lack the variety of museums, theaters, and high-end shopping you might be accustomed to.

**Location and environment:**

* **Extreme weather:** Boise experiences hot summers, cold winters, and occasional air quality issues due to temperature inversions.
* **Wildfire risk:** The surrounding area is prone to wildfires, which can impact air quality and outdoor activities during certain seasons.
* **Geographic isolation:** Boise is far from major metropolitan areas, which might be a drawback if you crave frequent city visits.

**Lifestyle and community:**

* **Small-town feel:** Compared to the bustle of big cities, Boise offers a slower pace and a smaller, more tight-knit community, which might take some adjustment for those used to urban life.
* **Limited diversity:** Boise is a predominantly white city with a lower level of cultural diversity than many other areas.
* **Job market and wages:** While the job market is healthy, wages can be lower than in bigger cities, potentially impacting affordability.

Ultimately, whether or not you should move to Boise depends on your priorities and preferences. If you prioritize outdoor recreation, a strong community, and a relaxed lifestyle, Boise can be a great fit. However, if you value cultural diversity, robust public transportation, and affordable housing, it's important to weigh these potential downsides carefully before making a decision.

I hope this information helps you make an informed decision about your future move!

Because we have a recent example of a new poster with a sensitive nose and from a small town finding herself subject to a pack mentality from the very start and seemingly being bullied off the site.

I met some people from Idaho 30 years ago, before the first (and often only) thing people could think to tell you about a place was whether it was red or blue. They told me they were proud potato farmers. I learned something. So far, through six substantive replies here, I havent learned anything particularly new about Boise except that Idaho is red.

As was predicable and predicted in this case, the majority of posts do not add any value and are political in nature, which (equally predictably) turns out to be if little interest to the OP.

If the knee jerk politicizing of every conversation could stop, it would be easier to encourage people to join the site and contribute.
well, to some people it matters. if it doesn't matter, then great, she can ignore that aspect.

Deciding whether or not to move to Boise is a personal decision based on your priorities and needs. While Boise offers many benefits, there are also some downsides you should consider before making the leap. Here are some specific reasons why Boise might not be the perfect fit for everyone:

**Cost of living and housing:**

* **Housing market:** Rapid growth has inflated housing prices, making it expensive and competitive to buy or rent a home, especially compared to the national average.
* **Overall cost of living:** While not as high as major cities, the cost of living in Boise is steadily rising, including expenses like groceries, utilities, and transportation.

**Infrastructure and amenities:**

* **Limited public transportation:** The city's bus system is improving but may not be sufficient for everyone's needs, especially compared to larger cities.
* **Traffic congestion:** As the city grows, traffic congestion has become a problem, particularly during peak hours.
* **Limited cultural amenities:** Compared to big cities, Boise may lack the variety of museums, theaters, and high-end shopping you might be accustomed to.

**Location and environment:**

* **Extreme weather:** Boise experiences hot summers, cold winters, and occasional air quality issues due to temperature inversions.
* **Wildfire risk:** The surrounding area is prone to wildfires, which can impact air quality and outdoor activities during certain seasons.
* **Geographic isolation:** Boise is far from major metropolitan areas, which might be a drawback if you crave frequent city visits.

**Lifestyle and community:**

* **Small-town feel:** Compared to the bustle of big cities, Boise offers a slower pace and a smaller, more tight-knit community, which might take some adjustment for those used to urban life.
* **Limited diversity:** Boise is a predominantly white city with a lower level of cultural diversity than many other areas.
* **Job market and wages:** While the job market is healthy, wages can be lower than in bigger cities, potentially impacting affordability.

Ultimately, whether or not you should move to Boise depends on your priorities and preferences. If you prioritize outdoor recreation, a strong community, and a relaxed lifestyle, Boise can be a great fit. However, if you value cultural diversity, robust public transportation, and affordable housing, it's important to weigh these potential downsides carefully before making a decision.

I hope this information helps you make an informed decision about your future move!
Thank you Greg for your input. We are only starting our research and yes, I see real estate prices have been consistently going up, and also hear there are many people from California moving there as well. I have some friends in Ohio, but winters are really long there :p

Thank you Greg for your input. We are only starting our research and yes, I see real estate prices have been consistently going up, and also hear there are many people from California moving there as well. I have some friends in Ohio, but winters are really long there :p
Yes, the CA exodus has really inflated prices in the adjacent Western states.

I'm going to toss out Boone NC as a possibility for you folks, given what I understand of your lifestyle and needs. Friends used to teach at Appalachian State there. Quite a sophisticated small city. Lots of nature around. https://www.exploreboone.com/

Back