Bolivian Visa

sleslie23

Registered
Hello,

Does anyone have any recent experience getting a visa for Bolivia as a US citizen?

As usual, the intertubes are providing conflicting information.

I was passing through Bolivia on the way to Cusco and they forced me to buy a visa at the Santa Cruz airport.

I ended up using it later on a trip to Lake Titicaca (half is in Peru, half in Bolivia) so all was not loss.

Be prepared for this joke on the Peruvian side: "Lake Titicaca, the TIti is on the Peruvian side the Caca is on the Bolivian side"

When you use your Bolivian visa to travel to the Bolivian side you hear the reverse of this joke.

I crossed through Uyuni, but they didn't stamp my passport at the Chilean border for some unknown reason. After realizing this, I attempted to get a stamp in Sucre AND Santa Cruz de la Sierra - neither would give me one without significant "contribution" (implied).

A couple months later at Copacabana, I ended up waiting until the Bolivian border crossing closed at 7pm and just walked to Peru where they happily gave me an entry visa in exchange for significantly less money than the Bolivian visa. <_<

Back