boludo and pelotudo

Both boludo and pelotudo pretty much communicates one whose balls are so large as to trip over them . Clumsy , stupid , chump and sucker would be close synonims in english .
Buludo , means big in the balls , pelutudo means the same thing using another word for ball ( pelota ) .
It is an insult that being male , one cannot escape . If you voice your anger at being called a boludo , then you will surely be called a conchudo. .
A "real " argentine male is conditioned to not take terrible offence at buludo . He will never in his right mind show being bothered if called a boludo. The alternative at being called a conchudo would be something he couldnt bear.
" Claro que soy boludo ! , no ves que tengo bolas ?"

va2ba said:
From my experience, boludo is an affectionate way of calling your friend a dummy. Pelotudo is what you call the taxi driver who "accidentally" makes a wrong turn that ends up costing you 10 pesos extra.

Well, see... I did that when I was in my teens (calling a friend boluda/o)...

The only time I used 'pelotudo' with a stranger was when the bus driver closed the back door as I was stepping out and my kids were still in the bus - but I don't feel proud about it.

I don't know... I feel like people are polluting my ears and disrespecting me when they use bad words out loud in public places (maybe I am getting old or too sensitive - or both).

(I am rereading this and thinking 'What an idiot!' - but can't help it)

Just imagine going back to the US, Canada, or wherever you are from and hearing your mom use the word 'bitch' or 'motherf*er' every time she talks to a friend.[/quote]

Maybe the US equivalents arent so gratuitously curse words but the excessive use of "like, whatever and awesome" in everyday conversation is equally grating to my ears...and it's not my age..always felt like that. "Talk to the hand" if you don't like it...:p

Don´t know what it´s like in USA but in NZ the ¨F¨ word is in use pretty much as often as the Boludo one is here, in every grammatical variation possible. Different country, different word, same ear pollution.

I'm not sure, but my ex girlfriend used to call me a buenboludo (which I was with her), and her cunado a medioboludo. It gets everywhere that word.

pelotudo = dumbass, dumbshit
boludo (commoner, thus slightly less offensive) =dumbass, moron

As a voactive, boludo = dude, bro (etc)

Interesting... Let's see: Boludo and Pelutudo have an equal root being that "bolas" as well as "pelotas" are in this case homonymous meaning test or balls. The "duo" portion translates as inflammation, enlargement... We're talking size. However, size in this case has pejorative connotations. As I was growing up in Buenos Aires I once heard the following statement: "He's such a boludo that should anyone ever cut his balls off he would airlift like a hot air balloon" The idea is clear: The balls on this case is what keeps the subject grounded but at the same time it impairs its ability to take/off or move forward. A boludo has similar connotations to "pots" in New York slang. It's not necessarily an "asshole" but rather a looser. The balls, which should be *according to local liturgy" the source of courage and manhood is what's actually keeping the subject from both. Pelotudop, is synonymous of boludo, there are no major differences although the pelotudo might cause damage. However, it is known in Buenos Aires that Pelotudos y Boludos are never mean, nor bad or harmful. Quoting my grandpa: "When a boludo turns out to be harmful, he's usually a Son of a bitch who's trying to pass as a boludo" Having said all this, Boludo has in the past 25 years become a way of referring to one another such as "man", "dude" etc. The treatment of a friend as a Boludo is more frequent amongst woman than it is amongst men e.g "Che, boluda, ya volviste?" Let it be known that boludo and pelotudo is not part of the lunfardo repertoire and that there is no mention whatsoever to either in any tango lyrics that I know of.

To me hearing grown woman in their 60s calling each other Boludas always seem ridiculous . There is something completely uncultured about this word but on a younger person it is passable .

Buenos Aires in the last years is becoming more and more uncivilized . I am sure that we are just months away from seeing people eating on the streets while walking like you do in the USA or Australia . Lets hope not but I am not confident

I already see them walking with no shirts on -guzzing beer and smoking pot.

perry said:
Buenos Aires in the last years is becoming more and more uncivilized . I am sure that we are just months away from seeing people eating on the streets while walking like you do in the USA or Australia . Lets hope not but I am not confident

You are too late already, Perry. Friday just gone, mother and daughter, porteñas both, medialunas de jamón y queso. I would say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY but you probably already know what it is without opening it.

Back