Book Club in Spanish start-up

Hi everyone: this Sunday turned out to be a bad time for most of you. So if you don't mind, can we postpone until September when I return from a trip.

I guess this Sunday was a bad choice--either because it was too soon, it was a long weekend, or weekends are a bad time for many people. It is going to rain they say as well.

The next try would be a weekday--can you make a weekday (Monday to Thursday) meeting? what would be your choice? 11am, 3pm, 8pm? Any particular days that would not be possible?

Looking forward to meeting you and to our discussions. I guess the discussions will be in Spanglish.

buenosairesmike said:
Hi everyone: this Sunday turned out to be a bad time for most of you. So if you don't mind, can we postpone until September when I return from a trip.

I guess this Sunday was a bad choice--either because it was too soon, it was a long weekend, or weekends are a bad time for many people. It is going to rain they say as well.

The next try would be a weekday--can you make a weekday (Monday to Thursday) meeting? what would be your choice? 11am, 3pm, 8pm? Any particular days that would not be possible?

Looking forward to meeting you and to our discussions. I guess the discussions will be in Spanglish.

I'm away until mid Sept. So won't be able to join til then. When I come back, I'd prefer 3 or 8pm on a week day. Either Spanish or English for me. I'm not that complicated! :)

Mike,

I am a newcomer to Buenos Aires (as of Sept 1st) and am looking to join a book club while living in the city for eight months. I majored in Spanish and speak fluently, so I may be able to help decipher during any meetings. I would really like to get involved in the book club if it starts.

Hope to hear more soon

Jessi Wolz

Hi everyone, I'm back in town and would like to set a date for the first meeting. It will be Sunday September 27th. The book chosen is Colombian author Juan Gabriel Vásquez's Los informantes. It's 59 pesos and most major bookstores like Ateneo and Distal carry it. It's a great read!

Unfortunately it was impossible to set up a weekday schedule since those of you who contacted me proposed dates which did not coincide. Perhaps if we all meet on Sunday the 27th, we can figure out a weekday meeting as well--place and time to suit the greatest number. But right now the majority prefer Sundays.

We'll start around 1pm with a choripan and soft drinks and coffee--bring some other refreshments if you want them. cakes and cookies always bien venidos as are friends who want to join

If you've not received an email from me, please drop me a line at [email protected] with your email and cell number and I'll give you instructions to get to my house.

Please RSVP with the number your bringing.

See you all then.

is this book club thing happening? I'm very interested...and have lots of books in Spanish at my apartment.

Emily

Everybody: Yes the book club thing is indeed happening, with our first read being Los informantes by Juan Gabriel Vasquez. If you want to come this Sunday let me know, if you can't meet on Sunday but would like to try for some other date, we
'll see what cabn be arranged, although week day meetings are complicated for many of you. Mike

I would like to join in this group as well, obviosuly will not be able to get and read the book by Sunday but would love to know what you choose to read next and get involved!

~Haley

if you're not on the mail list please send me your email and cell phone number to [email protected]

Next meeting of Spanish Book Club will be Sunday November 1st--starting at 4pm to finish off Los informantes, as many in last Sunday's meeting had not finished. At 5pm we'll have the second book discussion. The three possible books for the November 1st meeting will be those below with references if you want to learn more. Please let me know if any of you have any opinions--I'll let you know later this week which it will be. You may be able to get these books cheaply second -hand or through Mercado Libre--one person bought Los informantes for only 25 pesos (list is 59). I'll find out who the seller was and let you all know. So mark November 1st on your calender and send me your observations.

I'd still be willing to hold a weekday meeting for those who could not join us on Sunday--let me know who might be interested, limitations, and I'll try and figure out if possible. Some of you have already told me but not enough interest so far.

We already have a host for the next meeting and I'll send along details opportunely. Tell you friends.

Mario Vargas Llosa (Peruano) La Ciudad y los perros
see http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vargas_Llosa

Felisberto Hernández (Uruguayo) Las Hortensias

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felisberto_Hernández

Eduardo Sacheri (Argentino) La pregunta de sus ojos

http://www.revistaenie.clarin.com/notas/2009/08/18/_-01980156.htm

--

Back