Book Club - Online

I love the idea of a book club but suggest it's done in person rather than online. I think discussion of a book deserves intimate reactions that can only be accomplished when meeting in person. I won't be living in BA until December but would welcome an opporutnity to read a wonderful book and meet to discuss. With my current book club in the states, we take turns hosting and have snacks and wine..lots of wine :)

Quote bigbadwolf:
"People don't read much anymore -- if indeed they ever did. Prejudices and ill-informed opinions, however, are to be found in abundance."
which people are you referring to bigbadwolf? People that travel tend to read more than people that dont so I think your comment does not apply to the majority of expats that use this site, as most of us are well travelled and therefore reasonably educated. Lack of response to the "book club" suggestion does not mean to say that we do not read. Quite an arrogant comment actually!
I read immensly, just as I am sure many other members of this site do. But I personally find the idea of a book club extermely boring. It reminds me of when I was back at college discussing "wide sargasso sea" for weeks on end (yawn). By the time we moved on to the next work I HATED the previous one because it destroyed all my interpretations. When reading novels, we all take different things away from the same text. Studying literature is not about critique of the text or the author it is about understanding our interpretations and personel expression. I personally do not want my interpretation psycobabbled or tainted with the opinion of anothers. I read a book and I take what I want from it. Just as I watch a political party and I have a completely different opinion of another who has been exposed to exactly the same material I have.
I can understand if you mean to start a group that wants to have an open analysis of political writings, thats another story. But that is not really a book club is it? Thats a political discussion group. I get the impression that is really what you chaps may in fact enjoy. Pray do tell me if I am wrong.
I doubt that you guys really want to discuss the subtle insinuations of wordsworth!
besos
p.s.

BTW, I have always wanted to ask bigbadwolf if he lives or has ever lived in Argentina. May I take the opportunity to ask that now?
regards

"wendygkane" said:
I love the idea of a book club but suggest it's done in person rather than online. I think discussion of a book deserves intimate reactions that can only be accomplished when meeting in person. I won't be living in BA until December but would welcome an opporutnity to read a wonderful book and meet to discuss. With my current book club in the states, we take turns hosting and have snacks and wine..lots of wine :)
I agree with this suggestion. Actually, I entered the website to suggest launching a book club and I noticed the postings for an online version. Personally, I'd like to meet other readers so we can discuss books together. Any takers?

Hi Woolfian:
Yep, I´d be interested...
Know other people from this & another forum who would be interested in participating in a book club, the problem has been getting it organized and find someone willing to coordinate it... ( choose books that are available here or organize for someone to buy/bring them from the US /Uk, and such)
Anyone up for it??

Hi Bairesgirl... I am willing to coordinate.That's why I initiated the thread ;-) However, I wanted to wait until I had at least 5 people interested before starting our first book. But, if you are ready, we could go ahead and begin. Perhaps others will join along the way...Recommend locally purchased books, that you can find in Buenos Aires. Cheers - Brian

Back