Border closures vOmicron?

jblaze5779

Registered
Now that gov lost the elections and they don't have to pretend to care about normalizing life by opening the country to travel and with the new omicron variant, when do you think we'll see border closures again?

Seems like the perfect excuse to once again restrict people from spending dollars outside the country. No need to get heat for making dumb round about travel hurdles to keep people in the country.

Now that gov lost the elections and they don't have to pretend to care about normalizing life by opening the country to travel and with the new omicron variant, when do you think we'll see border closures again?

Seems like the perfect excuse to once again restrict people from spending dollars outside the country. No need to get heat for making dumb round about travel hurdles to keep people in the country.

This concerns me too. People won't be able to complain about not having the option to pay in cuotas for international travel if there is no international travel to be had. That being said, I don't know if people will tolerate another lockdown of that nature, I think people's patience has worn thin and they're skating on thin ice with everything they do.

- Israel has closed it borders entirely, despite being highly vaccinated.
- 10% of all passengers (around 60 persons) on two flights arriving at Amsterdam from South Africa were tested positive (imagine how many came in to Europe ansthe days and weeks before they started testing or paying attention...)
- Many countries including Brazil and now Argentina are banning or restricting arrivals from Southern Africa

I think it’s safe to assume “here we go again”.

At least for this government most of its voters won’t be affected by a border closure, keeping dollars inside is just an added bonus. Nothing to loose.

I think it’s safe to assume “here we go again”.

At least for this government most of its voters won’t be affected by a border closure, keeping dollars inside is just an added bonus. Nothing to loose.

Indeed, here we go again. Close the restaurants. Pull the kids out of school. Restrict movements.

Meanwhile...

Dr. Angelique Coetzee, a practicing doctor for 30 years who chairs the South African Medical Association (SAMA), and who first encountered the new strain said 'Their (patients) symptoms were so different and so mild from those I had treated before,” Coetzee told The Telegraph.

Omicron has a specific gene insertion in the surface protein that makes it easy to spot even with a PCR without the need to do a sequencing. But they still confirm with a sequencing I guess.

Thanks to South Africa's scientists and the transparency, we have a very early warning on Omicron. Because it is very early, there is much to be known so speculation is a moo point (like a caw's opinion, no body cares). Closing borders is cheap politics and won't do much except to delay the inevitable. This mutation might be really bad, or not bad at all. We should take precautions now (don't waste the early warning). Scientists are working hard and we will know in a week or two if this is a false alarm (a.k.a. a good practice) or not. We are not starting from scratch. We have vaccines and partial immunity. We have more effective treatments and drugs. We know what the good practices are. We can do this.

Flights from the African continent banned (eg Ethiopian Airlines flights) and all arriving travelers who have been on the continent recently will need to do 14 days quarantine (+Antigen on arrival, +PCR 72 hours prior to flight and on day 10 following the first PCR)

Back