Bratty Argentine Children & Public Tantrums

As many other things in this forum, Expats are talking almost exclusively about high-class argentineans,because those arethe ones living around them. We dont have maids, our children are disciplinated in public, and finally, WE like OUR food, and no, the common argentinean doesnt care about sushi (even when I do). Go to the provinces and you will find people that sleep siesta, are relaxed, their children educated and independent (and not consumerists at all), etc etc (and of course the best vegetables, cheeses, etc etc).

It's a pity expats stick to Buenos Aires and ignore the provinces. Just a short trip to Balcarce or Azul would be enough to see how most of Argentines live.

The best of Argentina is in the interior.

marksoc said:
As many other things in this forum, Expats are talking almost exclusively about high-class argentineans,because those arethe ones living around them.

When you say high class do you mean middle class or wealthy? When I think of the middle class I don´t think of high class. I can assure you the mother with the demon children that lives below me does not have a maid. My apartment building is definitely not posh, and the children I´ve seen act a mess are certainly not from elite or super wealthy families in Buenos Aires. I would have to imagine less well off children are better behaved. Parents don´t have time for that nonsense.

Santiago F said:
Lucas, that commercial has a very terrible message, although if you look at it from a different perspective it's funny (funny haha, not weird).

Going back to the topic, I think that there is a reason that no one has mentioned yet for apathetic Argentine parents. I'm a teacher-to-be (just a copule of final exams from the degree), and in my practice lessons as a trainee teacher I have seen and suffered bratty children and what's more, I know, from my teacher friends, that these children's parents are absent at home and don't care for them.

Anyway, when talking about this with my Argentine friends (I am myself Argentine / Argentinian), we agree that our own parents' education was different (I am 33 now). And our parents' parents' education was even more different, less lenient and more severe.

We have a reason that may play a role on this: just 30 years ago we had a disastrous dictatorship and a dirty war that killed thousands. I think that nowadays everyone is afraid of being severe and "authoritarian" with their children because they associate that with the authoritarianism of the dictatorship, at least at a subconscious level.

I don't really know if this is plausible, because at the same time these apathy on the part of parents and these bratty children are in other countries where there wasn't such a cruel dictatorship. But what I can tell you is that more or less most agree that this state of apathy on parents was not like this in the past.

Just my two cents,
Cheers,

I never thought about the dictatorshp and its impact on discipline. Good point....that could be it.

For the record I did see an Argentine woman sort of discipline her child yesterday. It was a sight to behold and I was proud. The little girl decided she was going to throw a tantrum while her mother was carrying a heavy bag. She yanked the girl up and dragged her away.

I have to say my experience has been quite different. I've found myself staring in disbelief at how well children (particularly teenagers) interact with parents and grandparents here. I have gone out of my way many times to comment positively about the children of friends who I have spent time with, and I'm not normally one to do this.

marksoc said:
As many other things in this forum, Expats are talking almost exclusively about high-class argentineans,because those arethe ones living around them. We dont have maids, our children are disciplinated in public, a.

I think it is far fetched to connect the behaviour of kids to the money the parents have on their accounts. Well behaving as well as bad behaving kids are in each social class, in each country.

LAtoBA said:
When you say high class do you mean middle class or wealthy? When I think of the middle class I don´t think of high class. I can assure you the mother with the demon children that lives below me does not have a maid. My apartment building is definitely not posh, and the children I´ve seen act a mess are certainly not from elite or super wealthy families in Buenos Aires. I would have to imagine less well off children are better behaved. Parents don´t have time for that nonsense.

You are a insecure person pushing your moral superiority to Argentines. Our children are and always will be more well behaved than USA children . We actually love our families and enjoy spending time with them something rare where you come from ;)

cabrera said:
You are a insecure person pushing your moral superiority to Argentines. Our children are and always will be more well behaved than USA children . We actually love our families and enjoy spending time with them something rare where you come from ;)

Yes I know cabrera. Argentina good. Argentina utopia. USA bad.

LAtoBA said:
Yes I know cabrera. Argentina good. Argentina utopia. USA bad.

Projection is something you are good at LA . Go for it. All I know is I am tired of the ignorance of your comments about Argentina and your lack of understanding of our people shows your childlike naivety apparent in your uneducated background.

We live here in Argentina because its our home and we have no choice mostly to move no matter what happens. You can leave and move to another society easily meaning that there is no reason for your negativity.

cabrera said:
Projection is something you are good at LA . Go for it. All I know is I am tired of the ignorance of your comments about Argentina and your lack of understanding of our people shows your childlike naivety apparent in your uneducated background.

We live here in Argentina because its our home and we have no choice mostly to move no matter what happens. You can leave and move to another society easily meaning that there is no reason for your negativity.

A society that evolves has to be critical and introspective. That means discussing the real issues that might hurt your feelings such as "food" and "bratty children". The difference is I'm expressing my views on a Buenos Aires expat message board on the worldwide web, not at a demonstration en el centro or en la esquina with a microphone and poster.

You remind me so much of the small town and big city uneducated folks in the USA. Closed minded and overly sensitive to la patria. There is an ignore button. Use it!....and stop hijacking my thread to insult me.

Back