Brazil Travel money exchange and dni?

Goata

Registered
Has anyone been to Brazil recently? Where should I change money, in Argentina or there.
I have a DNI and I think that will be sufficient to travel but am bringing my Passport as backup.
We will be in Rio for a week, any thoughts? Seeing Madonna on Saturday.
Thanks for any help.

Brazilians are not interested in taking your pesos, change them in Argentina. Or just use the ATM if you have a foreign card, Bradesco doesn't charge a fee (when they ask you about accepting their exchange rate, select "decline" if you don't want to donate 10% to the bank.)

You can use ATM machines or credit cards in Brazil. It's a 100% card economy. I have even used international credit cards in small, unknown villages in Brazil to pay 1 real, and no one gets upset.

DNI does not guarantee access to Brazil. It depends on the visa-free requirements of your nationality versus Brazil. If your nationality is Argentina, you can enter via DNI only. If your nationality is Bangladesh, you may need a visa to enter despite having a DNI.

Thanks, Good to know about the DNI, I am American but will go with my passport. I also have dollars, I should have mentioned that. I think I will change dollars to Reals in Argentina just to have some. Thanks

In general it is always better to buy the currency outside of the country you are going to. Gets you the better rate.

Got a quote at an exchange house for 4.80 Reales x 1 $US today. Send me a DM if you want the address.

Back