Brazil Visa Problem

wandererbird said:
I got a visa about 5 years ago so it's about to expire. I'm thinking of moving to Brazil for a while, but the visa will expire while I'm there, is this a problem? What happens if you try to leave the country on an expired visa?

I left BsAs and moved up to Belo Horizonte on a tourist visa, i over stayed my welcome if you like and nothing was said. Granted it was only by a few weeks..
I have some good friends up there, if you want me to get in touch with them im sure they would be able to lend some weight if your wanting to extend it???

BsAsIrish said:
I left BsAs and moved up to Belo Horizonte on a tourist visa, i over stayed my welcome if you like and nothing was said. Granted it was only by a few weeks..
I have some good friends up there, if you want me to get in touch with them im sure they would be able to lend some weight if your wanting to extend it???

I was in Belo Horizonte too and I think it is not a good idea to over stay any visas.

Went with a friend to the police there at the time and they were very serious about what they were doing.

As far as I got, wandererbird is form the US. Different rules for visas apply.

They could get visas for years in a row, like Brazilians in the US.

I'd go through the process and be sure about my visa if I was him.

Besos! :cool:

gulabjamun said:
Hi Brad. My only question is: the time you are allowed to stay in Brazil depends or reciprocity inst it?

For example, for an English person in BRazil applies the same as for a Brazilian in the UK - maximum 6 months. And an UK citizen in Brazil has to go the federal police before his/her first 90 days expire, to renew the visa for another 90 days. No more in a year.

But what for a person that actually has a 5 year visa and is an US citizen? Will he be able to renew it for other 5 years so easily at the Fed Police? Perhaps it is posible (that's why I ask you), and I dont know, but it does not seem to be so easy.

Adn yes, Brazil is much more serious in there issues than Argentina. If your passport has a chip, the feds will read your info deirectly. Have you been to the Migra here? They type in everything and even delete useful information by.... accident. Many times I've been there and there were strange entries in the country under my name, places i've never been to.

Salut.

Wandererbird: get a Visa before you go to Brazil. My humble opinion.

It can depend on reciprocity, but not necessarily. If Brazil were truly reciprocal with U.S. citizens, then we would receive tourist visas valid for 10 years, not 5. For what it is worth, I've had three Brazilian visas, and none of them have ever been valid for more than a year.

No foreign national can stay in Brazil for more than 180 days per year on a tourist visa. I am pretty sure that the stamps given to me in my U.S. passport are, in fact, for 90 days each. They don't write the number of days on the passport stamp, but I do think they did write "90 days" on the cartão de entrada stamp. The cartão de entrada is the immigration form handed to you on the plane; it must be handed to the FP when you leave.

If an individual still has a 5-year visa that is valid, she/he can enter the country. For example, if the visa is valid for 20 more days, the person can come to Brazil for 20 days. The Federal Police in Brazil will allow that visa to be extended in most cases provided that you are financially capable and have secured passage out of Brazil before the visa expires. The Federal Police can only extend the visa for 6 months (See Article 34 of Law # 6.815/80)

As far as I know, U.S. citizens wishing to obtain a 5-year tourist visa must apply in the U.S. Some members of this forum have received 5-year visas in Buenos Aires, but I don't think any of them are in Argentina on tourist visas. In other words, they have Argentine work visas or they are permanent residents in Argentina. The rules for them are different.

Bradly, I have no plans on going to Brasil any time soon but your posts are just so well informed and thoughtful I had to thank you!

My visa was extended by the Federal Police in Porto Alegre; The total amount of time given to me was 6 months, from the time the original visa was issued in Buenos Aires (September 1, 2008) until it expired (March 1, 2009). 181 days, actually.

But according to the law:

Art. 35. A prorrogação do prazo de estada do turista não excederá a 90 (noventa) dias, podendo ser cancelada a critério do Ministério da Justiça.

The extension of the tourist visa cannot exceed ninety (90) days, and can be canceled at the discretion of the Ministry of Justice.

So, take that for what you will. It seems that there might be some confusion on the amount of time the visa can be extended versus the total amount of time a tourist can stay in the country per year (180 days).

Thank you very much for this info. =D

As a Brazilian and obviously not a foreigner in my own country, it is good to know this and help other people too.

Did not know you could not get 10 year visas to Brazil for example.

Still, I think also the US would grant us visas for just some days if they fell like it.

Anyway, thanks again! =D

EliA said:
Bradly, I have no plans on going to Brasil any time soon but your posts are just so well informed and thoughtful I had to thank you!

Aww, Eli, thank you, and you're welcome!! ;)

gulabjamun said:
Did not know you could not get 10 year visas to Brazil for example.

Still, I think also the US would grant us visas for just some days if they fell like it.

I'm sure the U.S. has given visas that are not valid for 10 years for some tourists. But I don't think that is standard. Even with a U.S. visa -- be it tourist, business, student, et al. -- you are not guaranteed entry. The U.S. visa is merely permission to be evaluated by a Customs and Border Patrol (CPB) officer. The CPB officer (Department of Homeland Security) has ultimate authority over this, not consular affairs (Department of State).

Brazil is pretty serious about immigration. The consular official at the Brazilian Consulate in Buenos Aires grilled me. "What were you doing in Brazil for 2 months?" "Why did you extend your visa?" But I hear U.S. consular officials ask similar questions... :eek:

Wanderbird:

I agree, get the new Visa if you plan to stay there longer than your Visa permits. It's NOT worth going through the hassle there, especially if you don't speak Portuguese.

However, if you wish to go ahead without the new Visa, you should check with my friend in Brazil who does this sort of work for a living. You can email Barrie Lloyd-Jones at the following email address. He's an Englishman who has lived in Brazil for a long time. This may also give you a contact in case you get in trouble.

[email protected]

I am a British citizen with dual nationality Australian, I have the two passports and entered Brazil 6 months ago on my British passport as a tourist, my visa is about to expire and i wanted to know if it is possible to leave brazil and re-enter on my Australian passport before the 6 month out rule. I know that as a tourist i must leave Brazil for 180 days before entering, however i was wondering if it is permitted to enter as an australian avoiding the 6 month wait period. does any one have any ideas please please?????

alimoore said:
I am a British citizen with dual nationality Australian, I have the two passports and entered Brazil 6 months ago on my British passport as a tourist, my visa is about to expire and i wanted to know if it is possible to leave brazil and re-enter on my Australian passport before the 6 month out rule. I know that as a tourist i must leave Brazil for 180 days before entering, however i was wondering if it is permitted to enter as an australian avoiding the 6 month wait period. does any one have any ideas please please?????

I would like to know if anyone has ever done this successfully...that is use two passports to get around the 180 maximum days stay rule. I suspect that the immigration officials track people by birthdate/name so that even with two passports, this method would not work..but i am not so sure about that..would like to hear other peoples' experiences.

Back