Brazil Visa Problem

Can I leave and Return to Brazil after my 90 days is up in stead of extending my visa at the federal police? I plan to stay the maximum of 180 days a year, but have a trip to New York after being in Brazil for 90 days.

I am a UK citizen. Is the rule 180 days, including two 90 day visits, or is it 90 days per year, unless you extend with federal police?

Thanks for the help!!

Christian

brazilexpat2010 said:
Can I leave and Return to Brazil after my 90 days is up in stead of extending my visa at the federal police? I plan to stay the maximum of 180 days a year, but have a trip to New York after being in Brazil for 90 days.

I am a UK citizen. Is the rule 180 days, including two 90 day visits, or is it 90 days per year, unless you extend with federal police?

Thanks for the help!!

Christian

If you entered September 1, 2010, you'd have to leave 2/28/2011 (180 days later), and you couldn't come back until September 1, 2011.

When you entered Brazil, you were given 90 days. So, if you leave on the 90th day and you come back a few weeks later, they will give you another 90 day stamp. After that, you'd not be able to extend. You'd have to leave until the 12 month period lapsed.

Alternatively, as you mentioned already, you could visit the Federal Police. But this is a hassle. Banks, photocopies, lines, ugh... Save your 67 reais for something nice... ;)

gunt86 said:
I would like to know if anyone has ever done this successfully...that is use two passports to get around the 180 maximum days stay rule. I suspect that the immigration officials track people by birthdate/name so that even with two passports, this method would not work..but i am not so sure about that..would like to hear other peoples' experiences.

I actually know a woman who did this in Brazil. She carried a German and an Irish passport, and stayed in Brazil from Sept. 2008 until July/Augst of 2009. Perhaps they select the country, and then run your name/birthdate based on the data from that country?

Back